Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Another new 'spring loaded' running shoe - Enko

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Craig Payne, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Like the recent Ampla, not so recent Gravity Deyer and the older Spira and the failed Briteck (forerunners of the Newtons) and sort of like the Springblade; and not to mention this bizarre one; another new spring loaded running shoe is coming up called Enko

They are seeking crowd funding to launch the shoe, but I can not yet find the proposal at Indiegogo

Hat tip to Fréd Brossard‎ for alerting me to this

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2015
  2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  4. The external plantarflexion moment about the ankle joint axis at heel strike looks like its got a pretty big lever arm.... I predict anterior compartment problems.

5. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

And l will predict it will stop working once you leave the polished floor boards and run any where you might get a twig or stone caught in between the open levers

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    It will be interesting to see how they go in that regard.
    I have not seen anyone report any issues like that with the Adidas springblade type design.

7. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

Look at the Adidas Spring blade design, all openings are open to the rear of the shoe. During the propulsive phase of gait the levers/tread are all open to the rear, this should throw everything inside the levers/tread, out.

Now look at the Enko spring loaded, you have two pivots/levers facing forward, one at the midfoot and one to the rear this maybe the difference?

8. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  9. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Video of modelling of mechanism:

10. NewsBot

Articles:
  11. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

I spend a couple of months every year before a race walking event seeing people with tib ant overusage problems. This exemplifies the very problem we are always trying to solve.

The lever arm to the talo crural joint is enormous and will cause some serious problems, especially on those whose sub talar joint axis is medially rotated at intitial contact

12. Dr. Steven King

Dr. Steven King Well-Known Member

Aloha,

Yes, There can be a larger lever moment at the ankle and subtalar joints when "any" shoe system is stiffer. It is hard to get good leverage from soft foams.

For instance running in a logger's boot of post operative shoe would do the same due to the stiffness of the sole. The goal is to compensate for this when we use materials and mechanics other than just foam for our midsoles.

One of the reasons we are excited about our internal spring lever orthotic and shoe design in our patent US Pat# 8,353,968 is that it can be internal to the shoe housing (upper and sole) and protects these important mechanical midsole components from dog doo doo's and such and whatnots...

A hui hou,
    Steve

Dr. Steven King
    Managing Member
    Island Podiatry LLC
    Kingetics LLC

ASTM F13 and E54 voting member
    Co-Principal Investigator SBIR A11-109 "Advanced Composite Insoles for the Reduction of Stress Fractures." US Department of Defense and Army Medical Research and Materials Commend.

13. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  14. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I track a number of running shoe brands in social media, so just went looking for
    the response to their crowdfunding. I did notice that this post they made 22 minutes ago:
    https://www.facebook.com/759549410782764/photos/np.111495192.1540520457/823696791034692/ ... has already attracted 100 likes! - they do seem tp have built up quite a following on Facebook .... lets see if the shoe can live up to it.

The crowdfunding project is now up on Indiegogo:
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/enko-running-shoe-comfort-and-power

15. NewsBot

Articles:
  16. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Enko have released the attached pdf document with some energy calculations. Here is a table from the attached document.

Attached Files:

17. toomoon

toomoon Well-Known Member

quote: "It will be interesting to see how they go in that regard.
    I have not seen anyone report any issues like that with the Adidas springblade type design."

Did anyone actually WEAR the Springblade.. ever?

18. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Finally get to see a video of someone running in it ... not that impressed with the "form"

19. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  20. Dr. Steven King

21. KimCutler

KimCutler Welcome New Poster

This is a great point. Do they come with a real warranty?
    I cant imagine these would last very long especially in uneven terrain.

22. do you have to spam every thread ?

it will have to opposite reality to what you hope.

Put a link in your sig and start acting like a professional or start 1 thread on your ideas or continue 1 already started, but this blatant spamming of your product even in related threads is doing my head in

23. Dr. Steven King

Aloha Mike,

Point taken, and a good point at that.

I am so tired of trying.

A Hui Hou,
    Steve

24. NewsBot

Articles:
  25. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    My bad boys have just arrived; can't wait to try them out!

Attached Files: