Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Nigg says

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Cameron, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

2. SarahR

SarahR Active Member

Dr. Niggs says a lot of stuff.

"Dr. Nigg says he always wondered what was wrong with having flat feet. Arches, he explains, are an evolutionary remnant, needed by primates that gripped trees with their feet."

He also gives different types of 'orthotics' that support different parts of the arches, let's the study subjects self select the 'best one' based on percieved comfort alone then proves that you can't figure out reliably what is going to work best.

He clearly does not understand that the goal is not to simply support the arch but rather place the foot into the best position for the muscles to work effectively around the joints to achieve effective efficient propulsive gait.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20110118/ZNYT04/101183003/2055/NEWS?p=4&tc=pg

3. Griff

Griff Moderator

Is that the goal? What is the best position Sarah?

4. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

5. davidh

I go along with this. There is no one best position of course, because of the wide variation in foot shape. Or rather, what is the best postition for one may not be the best position for another. It goes without saying that weight, sex, activity and activity-level also come into play when designing an orthotic which places the foot in a good position for optimum function.

6. SarahR

SarahR Active Member

This cheesed me off yesterday.

https://media.mercola.com/redirect2...t-shoe-inserts-raises-a-welter-of-doubts.aspx

The goal is to put the foot in a position relative to the ground and in consideration of how it is aligned with the tib/fib to achieve the best line of pull, best mechanical advantage for the postural muscles so that they can function effectively without damage and fatigue. Kevin can correct me if I am completely off base in my interpretation of his "why orthotics work" lectures and supporting papers. It's kind of like pilates for feet. When the core body muscles are aligned properly with the hip and shoulder stabilizers activating properly, the limb muscles can achieve their best action, strength and range of motion, with lower risk of injury.

Give me a foot, I'll find the best position for that individual foot. There is no best position for everyone. I use SALRE, Kirby's physics based orthosis prescribing. For my particular feet, that position is 10 degrees inverted with 2 extended to sulcus and a morons extention. Without daily use of these devices, I am in so much pain that I'd prefer amputation and graphite sprinting prosthetics to living in a world where there are no orthotics.

The point I was trying to make is that alternate providers ass-ume we all provide pronation control devices. I do not.

Are you trying to incite an argument regarding orthotics prescribing theories?

Sarah

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  7. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

You must have friends, time to give them a ring Sarah

8. davidh

Quote from the above-mentioned article....
    "Your Feet Actually Work Best Without Shoes
    Your feet were designed to work best without shoes"

Whilst being true:eek: they neglected to mention what kind of surfaces your bare feet were designed to work on.

It sure as heck wasn't concrete.

9. SarahR

SarahR Active Member

Why should I give my friends a ring??

10. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

ahhh, maybe it fits.....

11. SarahR

SarahR Active Member

I have been completely injury free since 2006 and pain free since 2008 (when I extended posting to sulcus for the neuroma pain). Many colleagues are completely aghast "over-corrected" , "risk of ankle sprain" etc when they see what I affectionately call 'the beast', but this is what works for me. I have developmental unwinding issues, paeds case all grown up but was never properly treated in childhood.
    Almost needed a richie brace at the worst of it.
    Sarah