Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Agency work in UK- pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Employment in the United Kingdom' started by Podiatroid, May 7, 2009.

1. Podiatroid

Podiatroid Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I anticipate graduating this summer, and have been considering agency work, having done agency nursing in my previous career. Have any other forum members done agency podiatry work in this country- in London especially- and if so what are the pros and cons- especially for someone newly qualified? Are people very much thrown in at the deep end in a new clinic every day? In nursing, attitudes to agency staff ranged from very friendly to hostile and ignorant, so I'm wondering how does podiatry compare? Also, how much work is really available and why would any PCT use agencies rather than recruiting their own staff?

Best wishes

Pete

2. Griff

Griff Moderator

Hi Pete,

I did some locum work in London about 5 years ago or so. Certainly at the time (and may still be the case) London in general was desperate for locum podiatrists and work was never hard to find through most of the major agencies.

With respect to the attitudes of staff it is variable. Most are fine - some may take issue with the fact you are on a higher hourly rate than them for the same job (a retort of 'you know you're free to locum as well if it bothers you' doesn't usually go down well FYI...)

Bear in mind you may not even see any other staff of course. You are there to cover clinics, and given that podiatry within the NHS can sometime be quite isolated anyway (trust/clinic dependant I'm sure) you may be on your own most of the time (as the person you are covering obviously wont be there). It will usually very much be a thrown in the deep end situation. They tell you where to go and you have to do it with a smile on your face - such is the nature of locum work. Don't get me started on the 10 consecutive days I had to do Dom visits around Brixton...

Personally it is not something I would have wanted to do straight after qualifying. In my opinion the strength of the NHS, particularly for a new grad, is the team around you that supports you and provides a great learning environment. You may not get this whilst working as a locum.

Just my thoughts of course

Ian