Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Ashes 2010-2011

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by mike weber, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I thought Peter might start this thread as he did the last one. but it appears not so here it is.

Its that time of the 4 years cycle Ashes in Australia and it seems like as usual one team is settled and looking solid except some fine tuning and the other a shambles where names are being thrown around from kids 20ish to old players retired to make the team.

The strange thing this time around is that Australia is the mess - has not been seen since captain Grumpy ( Alan Border ) took over.

So 15 days and it all begins in Brisbane where if your Australian as I am, you hope Johnson finds his radar ( or the pitch) with his 1st ball - Katich thumb is healed - Clarke breaks his leg and can´t play the whole series ( don´t like the boy no heart) and we take it to the 7 overseas born, 2 sons of English players English 11 and smash em.

2. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Ye Gods! Listen to him

I loved one of Alan Whicker's travelogues many years ago when he went to the States and interviewed the President of a very successful American publishing company. The chap said, 'Oh yes, and we have several Englishmen working here' - indicating one of the aforesaid workers - Whicker replied that he was not English but Australian. "Oh well" came the reply, "Australians are only failed Englishmen anyway". Besides, a lion born in an Australian zoo is still a lion, and look at the antecedents of the Oz team!

In all honesty, I would never bet against the Aussies in a home Ashes series, they've shown over the years what good, tough opponents they can be, and are quite capable of turning an apparent disaster round. Hopefully though, England will beat them fair and square.

Finally, win or lose, I've never seen England bowl underarm along the pitch to prevent the opposition having an outside chance of winning!

Let battle commence

Bill

PS. I'm still supporting Weber to win the formula 1 championship. When all said and done he has adopted England as his home. One of the few Australians with taste!

3. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

Have to get over watching the English forwards demolish the best Aust has got this weekend first! NOOOOOOOT looking forward to that at all, think of the english press (as bad as the Aust press)

4. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

The ashes

Redirect to:

• From other capitalisation: This is a redirect from a title with another method of capitalisation. It leads to the title in accordance with the Wikipedia naming conventions for capitalisation, or it leads to a title that is associated in some way with the conventional capitalisation of this redirect title. This may help writing, searching and international language issues.
      • If this redirect is an incorrect capitalisation, then {{R from miscapitalisation}} should be used instead, and pages that use this link should be updated to link directly to the target. Miscapitalisations can be tagged in any namespace.
      • Use this rcat to tag only mainspace redirects; when other capitalisations are in other namespaces, use {{R from modification}} instead.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

How long will it take for Aus to go to uncontested scrums - I think it will be your best tatic especailly as we demolished the AB's up front and they you.

I am actually going to the game so hopefully England will continue their off loading and wider game

But good luck - still think your guys will win the rugby worldcup,

6. So the cricket all kicks off tomorrow - nice link from the rugby discussions .

The Gabba in Brisbane, where it seems the teams are picked unless there is an injury before the game starts.

7. mr2pod

mr2pod Active Member

So Game 1 ends in a draw... The 1st 2 days were filled with excitement but then it fizzled out. I don't mind seeing people get double centuries no matter where they come from, but the pitch was pretty dead by then. This game needed a little rain mid-way through to spice it up. Hopefully Adelaide can be a better result

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

Aussies chance of winning the ashes? 517-1
    Really that wicket is a shocker - as Ponting remarked after the game "all we really learn't in the second innings was how Strauss, Cook and Trott batted" over 1,000 balls!!!!!

9. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

completely missed this thread!

Thank you to the descendant of an English ne'er do well, social reject, criminal and deportee to reignite the flame of the Ashes ;)

I went to see Blowers a few weeks back at Darlington Arts Centre. Someone asked him how we would fare against the Aussies, he stated that avoiding defeat at Brisbane was the most important landmark, and would set the benchmark for the rest of the series.

Heres hoping, but really, we need Swanny performing.

10. W J Liggins

Hi Peter

How to really hurt an Australian. Most of 'em are not the descendant of an English ne'er do well, social reject, criminal and deportee (they like being called that); most of 'em are the descendants of prison guards - Oh yes they are!

Notwithstanding Punters moans (nothing new there then), Cooke beat Bradman's record - amongst others!

Cheers

Bill

11. I believe 0/0 would be the best way to look at it.

Problem is it could be 0/0 after 5 tests as Australia may not be able to get 20 wickets and England will not know when to declare with enough time to get 20 wickets.

Maybe Harris and Doug the rug may make the difference.

12. W J Liggins

Quod erat demonstrandum!

Bill

13. mr2pod

mr2pod Active Member

Well done to England. They totally outplayed us and not even the rain could save the day.
    We have had a long time to find the AW spinner and the post McGrath, Hayden, Langer + Gilchrest. It's about time they were just remembered as the legends they were and not referred to as an excuse after such a long time. The selectors have had a lont time to find YOUNG replacements and build them into greats.
    We are doing what the English did years ago in keeping the old guard for too long - an one of the heaviest criticisms of that era came from the Aussie team. Seems we were too busy gloating and did not learn anything

14. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

No gloating from me yet, til the ashes are retained. As delightful as it is for our lads to spank the Aussies, there is a fraction of my heart to witness a sad capitulation of the best cricket team ever.

15. W J Liggins

Well, I said last time that in my view the best thing the Aussies could do was say a fond cheerio to Punter and build a new team.

Dry yer eyes, lads, there's still time to turn it round, and I still won't lay bets!

Bill

16. W J Liggins

Congratulations to the Aussies. If there is one team in the world that can turn it round, it's them. Especial English regards to Hussey and Johnson and to poor Punter who has broken his finger - he even managed to take a catch when it was down his throat, although he had to rely on Haddin to do it for him another time!

Anyway, you bunch of Swaggies have made a series of it, so I look forward to sanity returning and the lads thrashing you in the remaining games. One day, I'll join the Barmy Army and get down there. Did you see the flag from the Anchor Inn at Hurley? That's my tiny village - but we do have 2 pubs!

Bill Liggins

17. Hi Bill, funny how everyone said one man could decided the ashes - Mitchell Johnson - see which one turns up on Boxing day.

Merry Christmas Bill to you and yours.

18. 200 odd runs from the last 4 wickets?

Doesn't seem likely.

Amazing game!!

19. Well played to the Poms.

Time for the clean out and hopefully a hard nosed captain during the rebuild. ie not Clarke.

20. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

I think Andy Flower deserves most of the praise, he has galvanised the team, and turned us into a team to fear. Never seen England field so well.

NB. Beware the Aussie comeback!

21. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

I remember when Australians were good at sport!

22. W J Liggins

They will be again - when they've got rid of Punter and rebuilt, as England had to.

We don't look forward to it!

Pommie Bastard Bill

23. markjohconley

I've sat down and watched up to the early tea, I haven't done that for years, can't remember in fact but I heard about Khawaga? and hopefully I've watched the first test innings of the next Australian batting legend! and against England YES!
    England still on top despite Anderson's run-in problems and Aust doesn't seem to have that much batting depth with Haddin at 6, mark

24. W J Liggins

Hi Mark

Does Khawaga have a nickname in Oz? His name's a bit of a mouthful but he played well until out to a silly 'un.

Cheers

Pommie Bastard Bill

PS It's a long time since the Aussies have been saved by rain. I always thought that it was an England speciality!

25. markjohconley

Yep, 3-1 doesn't look good. Watson and to a lesser extent Hughes were very lucky to survive that first hour. If Tremlett stays sound he's going to be a great asset in the years ahead. Khawaga looked good, and I don't mind if Ponting's pinky stays broken for much longer. Very disappointing that Clarke got so many 'boos' from the Australian crowd. Australia ranked ~ 4 or 5 ish now methinks, mark

26. Khawaga nickname = Usie

27. stevewells

stevewells Active Member

So in desperation it seems the Aussies are resorting to Cheating and winging - How proud are you guys of your team??????????:sinking:

28. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Seems Blowers was right after all!

29. markjohconley

come again?

30. stevewells

stevewells Active Member

A certain Mr Hughes claiming a non-catch at square leg off Alistair Cook and the whole team refusing to applaude his 100 150 and when he was legitimately out on 189 - nothing wrong with a bit of sledging but there is a limit when it comes to holding up a ball that clearly bounced - especially when you can see from his face and body language that he knew it didn't carry - shameful !
    Aussie press whinging about umpiring decisions which were obviously fair and correct (checking no ball with third umpire)

31. markjohconley

You've been reading the British media steve or listening to Botham!
    Hughes did momentarily celebrate then him and haddin queried whether it had carried, so stick your 'shameful'. graciously Cook has claimed he wasn't sure!
    Didn't see the cook 100 / 150 but our press maintain (at least) hussey and clarke did, if the others didn't then yep i'd agree
    and the Aussie press is like the English press is like the......
    what is shameful is the section of the crowd booing Bell, whilst Clarke is sportsmanlike in his response.
    So Steve, mate, try not to be be so ignorantly one-eyed!

32. markjohconley

Oh yeah and Dickie Bird, you know that English umpire is quoted as saying, ""The third umpire in the box gave it 'not out' but the correct decision was out and the umpire on the field had it right so electronic aids have taken all the authority away from the umpire," Bird said. So as for umpiring decisions....

33. stevewells

stevewells Active Member

bulls*** - Not being ignorantly one eyed - would have been equally annoyed even ashamed if it had been one of ours doing it!! - watched on the box myself (yes Both was commentating at the time but I totally agree with him) if you watch the sequence of events its clear he wasn't sure - you could see from another angle that haddin knew it was down and yet suddenly they're both up and celebrating with hughes flinging the ball up - they definitely DID NOT query it - all the players huddled up no australian queried it or asked the umpires - the only reason they referred it was because Cook didn't walk - no Cook wasn't sure but he doesn't have to be - if he had a doubt that it carried he is entitled to wait for the umpires decision - I would suggest you are being ignorantly defensive because there is no defense for that type of cheating
    by the way I don't read the papers
    Your response was typically Australian - enjoy getting your arses whooped for a change!!

34. markjohconley

Steve, if that's 'cheating' then the English wicketkeeper and slips cordon and Anderson are "shameful cheats" also, check out the constant appealing on what are obvious not outs, with Anderson against Watson for lbw when Watson is half way down the pitch and is being hit above the knee! and the wicketkeeper and slips on every friggin ball that the Aussies missed! Watch your captains BODY LANGUAGE he friggin knows that the ball has missed bat/gloves by huge gaps and yet he appeals!!!!

Cook has stated, "To be fair to Phil Hughes (he) said straight away that he wasn't sure (of the catch),"

so STEVE take your childish rants elsewhere or stickem' you know where, all the best mark

35. Congartes to the English team a well deserved win.

Enjoy the Australian Beer and Wine to celebrate tonight people.

36. stevewells

stevewells Active Member

Yawn!
    If Hughes wasn't sure why did he throw the ball up??
    Anyone who knows anything about cricket will know the two things are entirely different - i think you'll find most international teams will ask for a lot of LBWs - umpires call - totally different from holding up a catch when you clearly know it bounced - no chance Watson would have been half way down - slight exaggeration there I think Mark -
    Saw several instances where slips and keeper went up but strauss refused to refer because he obviously felt the ball hit hip shoulder shirt etc. and was proved right
    Appealing is not cheating dopey - Worst types of cheating in cricket - ball tampering (which I am ashamed to say an english captain was guilty of - never forgiven Atherton for that) holding up a non catch when you know it bounced and rolling a ball along the ground to give your opponent no chance of winning (not strictly cheating but near as dammit)

Fantastic Series win - well done boys!!

Oh and Mark - up yours too!!!

37. markjohconley

For any one that's watched test cricket, they would know that in the emotion of a test match the initial reaction is often just that.
    To repeat, again, the batsman you know Alistair Cook, has said," To be fair to Phil Hughes (he) said straight away that he wasn't sure (of the catch),"
    Hughes "The ball, in fact, did not carry to Hughes who was fielding at silly mid-on. The Australian opener caught the ball which came to him in a blink of a second. He held it up as a catch, momentarily. Then he motioned to his captain and exultant team-mates that he wasn’t sure whether he had caught it on the full.
    There was none of the leaping around that generally goes on when a catch is taken. Most of the emotion was shown by Michael Beer, the bowler."

I'd imagine Mr Cook might be a better source of information than a hot-headed one-eyed Pommie bastard!
    Strauss, you missed a lot then!
    What you've claimed is cheating occurs from all teams / players,

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE ENGLISH PLAYERS, thoroughly outplayed / outclassed the best the Australians have through most of the series, from the little i have seen and what i have read, deserved winners!

Pity the odd odd supporter, though.
    mark
    mark

38. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

why were the Barmy Army all wearing pink the other day?