Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Chinese Foot Binding project on Kickstarter

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Craig Payne, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    For those familiar with crowd sourcing and Kickstarter, you might be interested in this project :

Living History: Bound Feet Women of China
    I backed it with $60 to get the book of photos!

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Jo Farell has let me use these photos:

Attached Files:

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  5. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

I watched Jo's presentation - and delightful it was too. However I am a little surprised that she was able to do this - maybe I have been misinformed. One of my Sons-in-Law is Chinese and his Grandmother had bound feet - she was 99 when I first and last met her at their red letter party. I made overtures to him that I would just lurve to see her feet but was told to back off - big time. she would have been dreadfully embarrassed and hurt, I was told. she died soon after. The impression I gained was that it was as about as personal as a circumcision - and not to be shared by anyone apart from one's partner. But good on Jo.

6. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

Foot binding

Foot binding (simplified Chinese: 缠足; traditional Chinese: 纏足; pinyin: chánzú), or footbinding, was the Chinese custom of breaking and tightly binding the feet of young girls to change their shape and size. Feet altered by footbinding were known as lotus feet and the shoes made for them were known as lotus shoes. In late imperial China, bound feet were considered a status symbol and a mark of feminine beauty. However, footbinding was a painful practice that limited the mobility of women and resulted in lifelong disabilities.

The prevalence and practice of footbinding varied over time and by region and social class.[1] The practice may have originated among court dancers during the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period in 10th-century China and gradually became popular among the elite during the Song dynasty. Footbinding eventually spread to lower social classes by the Qing dynasty (1636–1912). Manchu emperors attempted to ban the practice in the 17th century but failed.[2] In some areas, footbinding raised marriage prospects. It has been estimated that by the 19th century 40–50% of all Chinese women may have had bound feet, rising to almost 100% in upper-class Han Chinese women.[3]

In the late 19th century, Christian missionaries and Chinese reformers challenged the practice but it was not until the early 20th century that the practice began to die out, following the efforts of anti-footbinding campaigns. Additionally, upper-class and urban women dropped the practice of footbinding sooner than poorer rural women.[4] By 2007, only a small handful of elderly Chinese women whose feet had been bound were still alive.

1. ^ Shepherd, John R. (2018). Footbinding as Fashion. Seattle: University of Washington Press. ISBN 9780295744407.
    2. ^ Cite error: The named reference bbc was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
    3. ^ Lim, Louisa (19 March 2007). "Painful Memories for China's Footbinding Survivors". Morning Edition. National Public Radio.
    4. ^ Hershatter, Gail (2019). Women and China's Revolutions. Rowman and Littlefield. p. 68.

7. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    ... my copy of her book just arrived today; good addition to the coffee table rather than the bookcase!

I can't see it on Amazon.com or at BookDepositry yet...

Attached Files:

8. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

About two weeks ago I saw a movie which addressed this issue (Foot Binding)... The Inn of the Sixth Happiness (1958 20th Century Fox film based on the true story of Gladys Aylward... which stared Ingrid Bergman as Aylward). However, Gladys Aylward was apparently upset by the inaccuracy of the movie... which you can now watch in full on YouTube...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016