Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

8th International Conference on Foot Biomechanics and Orthotic Therapy

Discussion in 'Conferences' started by javier, Oct 7, 2005.

1. javier

javier Senior Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Next month (November 4-6) will take place the 8Th Annual International Conference on foot Biomechanics and Orthotic therapy (Pfola Meeting 2005).

http://www.nvo.com/pfola/upcomingpfolaevents/

Me and a partner will travel thousands of miles for attending this conference. Have any more members planned the same?

Javier

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  3. I'll be lecturing on "First Ray Biomechanics: Hypermobility vs Decreased Dorsiflexion Stiffness" (not "Biomechanics of Abductory Twist" as was listed in the brochure by mistake) and giving two workshops at the seminar. Make sure you introduce yourself to me, Javier. It will be a good seminar.

4. DaveK

DaveK Member

I will be travelling from Ireland with someone from England. I'm sure the effort will be worth it, as was last year. I am lookingforward to seeing Vancouver as well.

5. The PFOLA (Prescription Foot Orthotic Laboratory Association) International Biomechanics Seminar is probably the best annual podiatric biomechanics seminar that every year brings many podiatrists, pedorthists, medical doctors and physical therapists/phsiotherapists from around the world to learn from each other. In addition, PFOLA has awarded significant sums of grant money for orthotic research that has now allowed us to say with great certainty that orthoses do have a significant effect on the foot and ankle joint moments and knee joint moments. This research has given us a much better idea of how foot orthoses work with the following research projects being partially funded by PFOLA Grants:

Mündermann, A, Nigg BM, Humble, RN, Stefanyshyn, DJ: Foot orthotics affect lower extremity kinematics and kinetics during running. Clin Biomechanics, 18(3):254-262, 2003.

Mundermann, A., B.M. Nigg, R.N. Humble and D.J. Stefanyshyn: Orthotic comfort is related to kinematics, kinetics, and EMG in recreational runners. Med Sci Sports Exercise, 35:1710-1719, 2003.

Mundermann A, Wakeling JM, Nigg BM, Humble RN, Stefanyshyn DJ: Foot orthoses affect frequency components of muscle activity in the lower extremity. Gait and Posture, Accepted for Publication, 2005.

MacLean C, Davis IM, Hamill J: Influence of a custom foot intervention on lower extremity dynamics in healthy runners. Submitted to Clinical Biomech for publication in 2005.

MacLean CL, Hamill J: Short and long-term influence of a custom foot orthotic intervention on lower extremity dynamics in injured runners. Annual ISB Meeting, Cleveland, September 2005.

I would encourage all of you who have an interest in biomechanics and orthotic therapy to attend and support PFOLA with this meeting since it is generally very well attended (Dr. Paul Scherer, meeting organizer, tells me that we already have over a hundred ,more participants registered this year than as we did at the same time last year). There are didactic sessions, both research and clinically oriented, and workshop sessions plus plenty of time in the evenings to catch up with old friends. I look forward to the meeting every year.

6. DaveK

DaveK Member

And, of course, make new ones. Looking forward to meeting you again Kevin and chatting about the 'stiffness' debate.