Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

The strangest thing your patients have used to cut their toenails...

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Sammo, May 7, 2008.

1. Sammo

Sammo Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I need to keep this brief, as I am in the middle of a clinic but...

I just had a patient who said that her toenails were too tough to cut with clippers or scissors so she used to get her Parrot to do gnaw them off... :confused:

His name was Charlie.

What is the wierdest thing your patients have cut their nails with??

2. DSP

DSP Active Member

I once had a 91 y/o pt who used to used to massacre his toenails with a hacksaw blade. The son said to me that there always used to be a blood bath after he had finished.

I have also had a few in the past who that have used tin cutters on their nails as well.

3. Princess

Princess Active Member

My mother in law used garden shears, and broke them - allegedly becaues her nails were too hard!
    She also blew up a black and decker sander on her callus!
    The reason I have to do her treatment - even though she lives 300 miles away from me is because its MY husband who caused her feet to be so bad- by her being pregnant for 11 months with him!

Madness

4. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Teeth. :dizzy:

Surprising how bendy the olduns can be. :rolleyes:

5. Leigh Shaw

Leigh Shaw Active Member

I saw a gentleman with diabetes, retinopathy and peripherial neuropathy who after pig hunting in the NZ bush ( bare footed!) would cut the nails and callus off his feet with a 6" chefs knife while standing on one leg in the shower! - the mind boggles.

6. pd6crai

pd6crai Active Member

When I worked in Scotland, I had a patient whose son used to cut her nails with sheep shearers. Apparently there was never any blood, and he did a good job.

If I had someone come at me with sheep shearere, I would tell them where to go..............

7. medwards

medwards Welcome New Poster

I have a rather rotund gentleman who used a stanley knife for nails, but due to his tummy making it hard to reach he would bounce/rock forward and on the count of three he would take a swipe at his toes. After detipping his big toes and we healed the subsequent wounds he now rather enjoys his visit to my clinic.

8. Anthony Lewis

Anthony Lewis Active Member

During my time in several Pacific Islands I've come across numerous persons willing to use an assortment of knifes for reducing their toenails.

What's more given such individuals have used these tools for various activities throughout their lifetime their skills on the whole are relatively high. Thereby self-inflicted injuries are less common than I would have predicated.

9. Adrian Misseri

Adrian Misseri Active Member

G'day all..

Being in a rural area, I get all sorts of funny things used to cut nail. One guy was using a 24 inch wood saw, and decided he had best see me when he had cut into his nail bed as was bleeding prefusely. Also had the old tin snips, garden seceturs, wire cutters, sewing scissors, side cutters, angle grinders, dremmel drills as well as others.
    One fella how had an ingrown toenail that was givinghim grief for ages. Was all set up to take it off on an old stump using a hammer and chisel before his friend stopped him and brought him in!

Cheers!

10. Hylton Menz

Hylton Menz Guest

A few years back, the MJA published an interesting little piece about a DIY pincer nail treatment using a stainless steel screw:

[​IMG]

Full paper here.

11. L Sempka

L Sempka Member

G'day all,
    I have a patient who insists that his trusty pen knife does the job when the medicare rebates are up for the year.
    I have another patient who is a carpenter who relieves his corn off his 1st MPJ by standing on a work bench and lowers his foot gently on a bench grinder. I have yet to see these guys bleed i guess its true about what they say, good tradesman don't blame their tools.

12. maggiern

maggiern Welcome New Poster

:drinks
    Are there any safe standard tools that folks can use in developing countries to thin those thick mycotic nails. And what type of skin care products are they using to keep thier skin from cracking??? In quiring minds want to know!

13. maggiern

maggiern Welcome New Poster

:drinks
    Are there any safe standard tools that folks can use in developing countries to thin those thick mycotic nails. And what type of skin care products are they using to keep thier skin from cracking??? In quiring minds want to know! Dr. MAGGIE

14. andymiles

andymiles Active Member

i have a mate who only gives me a bell to sort out his o/c when his trusty dart lets him down

15. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Jeez, that must do your confidence the world of good! Speaking of darts, in my training days, I went to pull a set of instruments out of the autoclave, only to find a set of sterilised Arrers in there!