Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Cryosurgery or salicylic acid for warts?

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by zenjudo, Jan 26, 2006.

1. zenjudo

zenjudo Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    under what circumstances do we use cryosurgery or salicylic for various types of verruca (e.g. mosaic or singular)? Does one have any advantages over the other? Any pros and cons about each method?

Thanks.

Mike

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I use often use both concurrently. Patient applies sal acid (Duofilm) daily --> destroy tissue AND increases mositure content --> then zap all that extra moisture with the cryo unit --> more tissue destruction. ...

CP

3. Certainly works Craig, although sometimes the macceration caused by the sal acid can mask the ice-ball formation making it difficult to gauge freeze cycles (unless of course you're using thermocouples). Steeping the feet in warm water for 10 minutes beforehand works just as well.

4. kirsten

kirsten Member

Mark are you saying that you steep the feet instead of the sal acid or just prior to freezing after the use of sal. acid? Craig, how often and for how long do you have them applying Duofilm?

5. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Duofilm daily; freeze them every 2 weeks

6. emoclew

emoclew Member

I am currently tx a pt with a huge plantar wart, using a combination of cryo and duofilm. Originally I had him using it every day, but it did end up looking like a big macerated heap. After last visit I had him apply it every 2nd day and when he returned it looked a lot better. I have been seeing him for a month, frezzing every 2 weeks and it is now about a 1/4 of the size and not painful. I'd definately a fan of combing the 2 treatments.