Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Of Pseudoscience and Taurine Excreta

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Robertisaacs, Sep 15, 2009.

Tags:

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I Beleive it was one of the Rothbart threads, in which I poked at the foolishness of blaming something like headaches or back pain on a single mechanical aetiology (ie femoral rotation / pelvic anteversion / lumbar lordosis etc). It was with this in mind which I enjoyed this classic quote from one of my all time faourite writers, Dr Ben Goldacre

I think I might print this and mount it writ large in my lab!

What say you?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2009
  2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  3. He is very observant isn't he! Like I say great writer with a lot to say on reductionism.

I used to be a big fan of reductionism. I find it irritating when people try to make things holistic just for the ske of it, or because its easier than actually identifying the problem. Blaming every foot complaint on "core stability" issues for eg. Then again sometimes things are over reduced or incorrectly reduced!

I guess one could do a matrix.

condition ->.................reducible ....................not reducible
    treatment |
    V

reduced / medical..........appropriate .................not appropriate

holistic .......................... not appropriate...........appropriate

So for example a reducible condition (like an MI) should not be treated with holistic medicine. Lifestyle is important but not when someone is arresting, oxygen and a defib, good ole western medicine is whats required. Something not reducible (like headache or back pain) should not just be treated with pills or a single mechanical intervention. All the other elements like lifestyle and psychosocial elements should also be considered.

One could probably expand this to include the grey areas in between as well.

Fascinating stuff, to me at least.

Regards