Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Amfit CAD/CAM system

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by quirkyfoot, Oct 5, 2015.

1. quirkyfoot

quirkyfoot Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Afternoon all, haven't been on for some time now and thought a visit was well overdue. As an aside I have started working at a practice that utilizes the Amfit CAD/CAM software and milling machine and was wondering if anyone may have some useful tips/references/texts that I may be able to access to improve my overall biomechanics experience. I didn't have any previous experience in both the scanning and milling and much of what I'm doing now is trial and error. I was hoping that someone may be able to expedite the learning process and help me on my way. Cheers,

Paul.

2. efuller

efuller MVP

With any method of making an orthotic there are two parts to understanding what you should do for a patient. The first part is knowing what you want your orthtotic to look like (varus wedge, valgus wedge, forefoot or rearfoot.) The second part is learning how to get the shape that you want. Which part did you want help with?

Eric

3. quirkyfoot

quirkyfoot Active Member

Thanks for your response Eric, much obliged. I was merely wondering if anyone had experience with using this particular technology. I'm not experiencing too much difficulty achieving the results I require
    yet was hoping some other pods could share their experiences with me.
    Cheers, Paul.

4. efuller

efuller MVP

Are you using the wedges that come with the system to alter the digital foot image. I've always wanted to play with those to see how those felt. I had an orthotic made from a fully weight bearing scan and it felt similar to a fully weight bearing impression cast accomodative device. I liked the feel of the partial weight bearing accomodative plaster cast better, because there was a more comfortable arch contact. I also like my neural suspension devices better than either weight bearing casts because of added "wedging". It would be fun to play with the Amfit to try different things to see if I could replicate the comfort of my plastic orthotics. Then there is the shank dependence problem.

Eric

5. quirkyfoot

quirkyfoot Active Member

Yes Eric, I have made a couple of eva devices incorporating the wedges to alter the digital foot image. I modified the contour somewhat and the positioning to achieve greater arch congruence ( I hope!). As yet the patient has not been in to pick them up but I will be happy to do a follow up and share my findings, if you're interested :)
    Cheers,
    Paul.