Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

New 'innovative' running shoe from Ampla

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, Dec 1, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Ampla website

Article from Competitor.com

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  2. toomoon

toomoon Well-Known Member

yet another start up making extravagant claims.
    "be a better runner and you won't get broken" if you wear this shoe.. I don't think so..

3. Phil Rees

Phil Rees Active Member

I wonder how well the shoe will perform if the gap between the mid sole and the out sole fills with debris, mud and stones

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    The only comment that i have picked up on from the only person I know who has tried the shoe was that this was not a problem.

5. NewsBot

Articles:
  6. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

Interesting... certainly worth a try. I'm thinking how durable that 'spring' ("spring-like flange") will be? ... is there an optimal weight range? ... will it help take 4 min. off my marathon time :eek: ?

Are they available for :santa: delivery this Christmas?

7. [​IMG]

reminds me of this running spike from circa 1990, were odd top wear the 1st few times.

of course not the carbon fibre spring but the image itself

8. NewsBot

Articles:
    Here is article from latest Running Insight:

Attached Files:

9. This "new innovative running shoe from Ampla" looks like another gimmick running shoe that will claim all sorts of health benefits and performance enhancements for runners but which, within a year's time, will be seen to have failed miserably at producing the health benefits and performance enhancements that the company had initially claimed for its shoe. I predict a very short lifespan for this shoe.

10. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I have been monitoring a lot of the online comments on these ... interestingly a lot of the comments being made are similar to the types of comments that were made about the Newton's and their lugs when they were first released ...

11. toomoon

toomoon Well-Known Member

I have seen this shoe at the Running Event in Austin yesterday. It has a completely rigid carbon fibre plate which renders the shoe totally immovable from midfoot forward. It then has what could best be described as an EVA "flap", which can be easily deformed to the level of the carbon fibre plate with a minute amount of pressure.. it seems very unlikely indeed that this could store any usable amount of elastic energy and return it in a meaningful manner. I therefore must conclude that the product is indeed a gimmick and is very unlikely to achieve the stated goals of the manufacturer..

12. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    That did not last long:
    http://www.sportsonesource.com/news/article_home.asp?section=8&id=58161&Prod=3

14. NewsBot

Articles:
  15. Who killed the Ampla Fly? The creators of the Ampla Fly killed the shoe that's who! They killed the shoe by assuming that their "spring-loaded forefoot" design was something new and revolutionary. They killed the shoe by being surprised that their shoe didn't take off like they expected. Outside Magazine, in this article, has it all wrong.

Why has Hoka One One done so well? Hoka One One did extremely well because their creators did their homework, made a great shoe with a truly revolutionary design, and didn't advertise their shoe as being revolutionary. Rather, Hoka One One let runners tout their shoes for them, grew from small to large, then sold out to a larger shoe company (Decker) that also realized the true potential of this truly revolutionary shoe. Hoka One One is probably the most revolutionary shoe I have seen come out of the running shoe industry in my last four decades of following the running shoe industry.

The creators of Ampla Fly are just another example of a group of individuals who simply don't get it. When will people like the Ampla Fly creators ever learn? Shoes with spring-loaded soles have been around for over a century. Do your homework, shoe innovators!!

16. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Attached Files:

17. NewsBot

Articles:
  18. NewsBot

Articles:
  19. NewsBot

Articles:
  20. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

Interesting, I was wondering about "rule 143" whilst reading the article. If they do decide to put a stiffer/stronger carbon fibre spring (which would then violate "rule 143") for a sub-two-hour marathon attempt, it wouldn't be legal anyway (but no doubt a news maker & good publicity). I would take it the shoes are a fair bit heavier than the average racing flat... hence the issue of mechanical advantage over economy (weight).

21. NewsBot

Articles:
  22. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles: