Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Gait and Lower Limb Observation of Paediatrics (GALLOP)

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by NewsBot, Mar 4, 2016.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Gait and Lower Limb Observation of Paediatrics (GALLOP): development of a consensus based paediatric podiatry and physiotherapy standardised recording proforma
    Simone Cranage Helen Banwell and Cylie M. Williams
    Journal of Foot and Ankle Research20169:8

2. Ina

Ina Active Member

Having read introduction only, I ended up with a couple of questions. If I got right the first and the second paragraphs of the background section, the Foot Posture Index-6 is presented among "standardised assessments developed with paediatric age-specific normative values for the lower limb" and "[p]aediatric specific outcome measures that evaluate the effectiveness of treatment within this population".

I wonder if the FPI-6 was developed with paediatric age-specific normative values in mind, how does it allow to differentiate between flexible/developmental and rigid/non-developmental flat feet/pronation scores in, say, three, eight, twelve-year-olds?

If the FPI-6 is paediatric specific, why, for instance, the paediatric flat foot proforma which utilizes the FPI-6, is not mentioned? Is it less paediatric specific or not developed within the last 10 years?

Since the authors aimed to summarize Australian expert podiatry and physiotherapy clinical practice, as a reader I think I lost from their decision to not answer these questions from one of the reviewer's reports:

3. emhm

emhm Member

Just interested if anyone is using this in clinical practice?
    From my non-PhD not-super-clever-at-paeds clinical perspective, I appreciated your comment, Ina.
    In my own opinion I get the feeling there may have been some issues with who was invited to contribute - it's a fairly narrow range and a lot of podiatrists compared to physiotherapists, and NO other disciplines.

That said, it's far more evidence based than the based-on-uni-10-years+ ago templates I've used in my own clinical practice and I'm thinking it may be worth adopting.

Ideas?

Cheers
    E.

4. Ina

Ina Active Member

E., it's amazing how different may be everyone's perception, regarding
    In my view, if this is a survey of experts' opinion on a certain issue, how could it be different from an expert opinion level which it aims to summarize? In general, could any gathering of any experts' opinion ensure that theirs reflect an evidence-based approach but not the same 1-5-10-20-year-old templates?..

Sorry to hear if in Australia or elsewhere there are expectations for readers to have a PhD in order to read critically what authors with PhDs have published, but I doubt if an undergraduate student anywhere under an evidence-based-medicine sun could get away with the statement that their work was guided by the literature and experts' consensus, immediately followed by a non-systematic literature review, citing cherry-picked publications and omitting others published within the same time frame. Anyway, I apologize for driving the discussion away from where it belongs, within podiatry practitioners of the said country.

5. NewsBot

Articles:
    The usefulness of the GALLOP Assessment Tool to assist podiatrists in determining developmental milestones in paediatric patients
    Gill Jenkins
    A dissertation presented to the
    Faculty of Health Sciences,
    University of Johannesburg,
    In fulfilment of a Masters in Podiatry

6. NewsBot

Articles:
    Assessing the need for a standardised paediatric assessment tool for podiatrists in South Africa
    Gillian Jenkins et al
    Foot (Edinb). 2023 Mar 22