Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags: , ,

Evidence behind the 'barefoot running' headlines in the media - the Egg on Face Award

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 31st October 2013, 11:40 PM
The Admin that posts the news.

About:
Marketplace reputation 53% (0)
Default Re: Evidence behind the 'barefoot running' headlines in the media - the Egg on Face Award

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
Toe Shoes Aren't Really That Great, According To Science!
Quote:
While that may be true, scientists are now saying that the supposed benefits are all hogwash!
Sponsored Links
Old 22nd December 2013, 01:03 PM
Professor of Life, The Universe and Everything

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default Re: Evidence behind the 'barefoot running' headlines in the media - the Egg on Face Award

oh, how the headlines have changed and come full circle in the popular media:

Science Says Your Disgusting Toe Shoes Aren’t Doing Anything But Grossing People Out
It doesn't matter how frequently you enumerate their benefits.
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things - right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
Old 22nd December 2013, 03:00 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)

About:
Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Payne View Post
Craig:

Don't you feel a certain level of vindication reading these headlines and articles when , just a few years ago, we were fighting with the barefoot/minimalist advocates, and all their "voodoo-science" online and in seminars when the media only wanted to hear about how great Vibrams and barefoot running was?

For me, it warms the cockles of my heart reading these articles and knowing that people like Dan Lieberman, Chris McDougall, Blaise Dubois, Nick Campitelli and Mark Cuccuzella are all squirming in their pants reading these articles, knowing that what they have been preaching over the past five years is all a bunch of BS.

Kevin

Kevin A. Kirby, DPM
Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Applied Biomechanics
California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt College

e-mail: kevinakirby@comcast.net

Private Practice:
107 Scripps Drive, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95825 USA
My location

Voice: (916) 925-8111 Fax: (916) 925-8136
Old 9th January 2014, 03:47 PM
The Admin that posts the news.

About:
Marketplace reputation 53% (0)

Switch to minimalist running shoes tied to injuries, pain
Old 9th January 2014, 04:19 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)

About:
Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsBot View Post
I had a good laugh reading Lieberman's comments in this article. Even "Professor Barefoot" is now backtracking away from his hard line barefoot/minimalism message that this will style of running will help prevent injuries since it is "more natural".

Here is my question: Why not just continue to run in cushioned midsole shoes and not go through the trouble and injury risk of trying to gradually try to run barefoot or in shoes with little midsole padding?

I wonder how much Lieberman is getting from Vibram FiveFinger now for his running research??

Good to see this fad finally swirl down the toilet of no return....

Kevin

Kevin A. Kirby, DPM
Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Applied Biomechanics
California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt College

e-mail: kevinakirby@comcast.net

Private Practice:
107 Scripps Drive, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95825 USA
My location

Voice: (916) 925-8111 Fax: (916) 925-8136
Old 24th February 2014, 07:31 PM

About:

Weren't the headlines and fan boys just a few years ago telling us that big bulky shoes were going too hurt our knees?:
Fat-soled running shoes to protect middle-aged knees
...not saying I agree with the headline, but how things have come a full circle!
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things - right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
Old 16th April 2014, 01:37 AM

About:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/New_r...gies_4277.html
Quote:
Thankfully, "miminalist" running is just about dead. It is going, going gone as a theory that any serious running institution considers.
Quote:
I have tried the various experiments, and, my ability to strengthen my feet muscles to cure my overpronation have been about as successful as my ability to strengthen my eye muscles to cure my failing eyesight. Accordingly, my view of foot health mirrors my view of eye health: eat good foods, eschew bad habits, and employ corrective appliances when appropriate. This means reading glasses for my eyes and orthotics for my feet.