Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Private fees

Discussion in 'Practice Management' started by 2whiskers1, Jan 20, 2011.

1. 2whiskers1

2whiskers1 Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi there,
    I'm soon to be starting some private home visits and just wondering what other pods are charging for doms. I'm in regional Australia and although I'm hoping to work mostly within my town, I will be travelling a minimum of 20mins to other areas so thinking I should take in to account petrol expenses. I was thinking $35-$40 for after hours appts.

Some suggestions would be terrific.

Thank you. :wacko:

2. Pompy

Pompy Member

Sounds a bit low for mine. I'd be charging $50-$60 for home visits.

3. Stirling

Stirling Active Member

I agree with Pompy. $30-$40 is way too low. The local Manicurist performs home visits for that much. Your expertise is worth a lot more than that. I like to work my dom services at $150 an hour AT LEAST. So if you can only see 2 patients in an hour you should charge $75 per patient. I would not go under $60 per patient.

4. 2whiskers1

2whiskers1 Member

Thank you for your replies. I will definitely take on board those prices. I did contact our society but they do not guide us on fees anymore, I was told to go with the going rate.

5. mr2pod

mr2pod Active Member

It does sound very low. You need to take into consideration what your standard consultation in your clinic is, and charge a premium ontop of that for the travel, time, inconvenience (poor light, chairs, annoying dogs etc)

6. toughspiders

toughspiders Active Member

I agree way too low. Your fee may struggle to cover your overhead. I charge $60-$65 for a home visit but am too soft to charge anything extra for the EPC's. I think regional you could command a little more.

x

7. drk

drk Member

Hi 2whiskers2,

Your suggested fee for domicillary podiatric treatment in AUD is far too low to adequately cover your fixed and variable overheads, your professional indemnity insurance, your travel costs (including depreciation on your vehicle and equipment) and your instrument sterilisation costs; let alone provide you with a comparable income to those practicing in private rooms or hospitals. You would need to be charging at least $60 per consultation (20 minutes + travel time) and even then your net income would be relatively low.

Regards,

8. kirstyq

kirstyq Member

Mobile Rehab (which is a large physiotherapy home visit service with numerous physios travelling through south east qld) charges $80 per visit. We should be charging at least $60....... Think of what a tradie costs just for his call out fee! Then he puts his hourly rate on top of that!

9. 2whiskers1

2whiskers1 Member

Most pod home visits within my area would be to the older population, housebound and I would imagine not the young and able as they would be accessing the public health service where consult fees are maximum of $21. I would just feel like I'm charging too much. At least by charging 45-50$ it is more likely clients will use you again. I just can't see the population in my area paying $65-$70. Supposen they just need a corn enucleated or toenails cut.....not justifiable in my view.

10. Really it´s up to you to decide, but maybe work backwards. list out the costs for different radius from the office. This will give you costs = x

x should mean that your not losing money. If you come up with a figure $ ie your bottom line.

Be said if $ 45 dollars meant you were losing $ 2 a consult, just because you were being nice.

If you drive 20 mins to a consult, 20 mins consult and then 20 mins back again, your time is 1 hour not 20 mins.

Goodluck

11. Mr C.W.Kerans

Mr C.W.Kerans Active Member

2whiskers1,
    If charging the older patient population a fee which is realistic for home attendance and treatment is an issue, perhaps don't go to them at all - let them get to you by public taxi, family or friends bringing them - that would seem to solve the problem. If you are not charging a fee to cover your costs you are subsidising domicillary visits from your surgery practice. Good luck. Very sorry to see the devastation of the floods in Queensland, by the way.

12. PODKMM

PODKMM Active Member

In our clinic we charge $75 for a home visit. You need to consider that most consultation fees inside rooms is between $55 and $70 and you have travel costs and time on top of that.