Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

New podiatry "businesses/clinics" over-prescribing orthotics

Discussion in 'Australia' started by adamoto, Nov 30, 2014.

1. adamoto

adamoto Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi everyone,

I have been noticing more and more new clinics/businesses that claim to be podiatry-based, but are started up by business people who has no background in health science.
    Their business models seems to be based upon utilising people's private health podiatry cover to prescribe everyone orthotics, therefore enticing customers by packaging it with free shoes + free consults.

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on these new businesses?

2. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

They must be very expensive orthotics if they can give away free shoes and consult with them?

3. toughspiders

toughspiders Active Member

I'd be interested to see how they manage to claim on health funds where the provider doesn't have a provider number?

4. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

If its who l think it is, they have Podiatrist on staff.

How are they marketing these "Packages/Bundles" to include the freebies?

5. toughspiders

toughspiders Active Member

I thought we weren't allowed to offer freebies? Maybe i am wrong

6. adamoto

adamoto Welcome New Poster

Well, sounds like these business ideas hasn't fully gotten out in the podiatry community yet... To me it sounds very suss and I feel like it damages the profession's integrity.

In a nut shell, from what I gather of the people who has been to one of these places... they basically attract customers/patients by providing a package of "free podiatry consult + cheap OTS or custom orthotics + free shoes and the business would use all of the customer's podiatry cover for the year in one go --- I presume purely by putting through a podiatry/orthotics claim.

Majority of the customers are ones that are asymptomatic, but are paying yearly for health insurance that has podiatry cover that they do not use... So in essence they are getting a 'free' pair of shoes which is paid for by claiming a pair of orthoses.

As I said before, I feel like it's all a bit dodgy and I'm not sure if its even ethical and wonder if the podiatry board knows about these businesses...?