Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Footwear for heavyweight supinator

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Zac, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Zac

Zac Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Any suggestions/recommendations on a running shoe suitable for someone excessively supinating & weighs 100kg's?

2. Phil Wells

Phil Wells Active Member

Zac

Best suggestion I can offer it to get a pair of sturdy boots and have them modified with a lateral flare to the sole unit.
    It will add weight and look a bit strange but if the pathology requires it, it is usually the best and most effective way of adding enough force.

Phil

3. Zac

Zac Active Member

Thanks Phil. I was hoping more on a recommendation for a running shoe.

4. efuller

efuller MVP

Why are they excessively supinating? Knowing that would help make in making a suggestion.

Eric

5. CamWhite

CamWhite Active Member

What country do you live in?

6. Zac

Zac Active Member

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to be misleading. This patient is me, a casual runner & Podiatrist in Australia, 103.4kg's. I have had a 2-3 month history of right hip pain which I have been seeing a Physio for assessment/treatment. Pain is located primarily around the iliac crest going but can "radiate" a little in glutes region & a little into ITB region. Pain was occurring initially with running & then resolving fairly quickly once I ceased running. In the last few weeks the pain has been pretty low grade but constant. Pain is particularly related when doing side bends ie. when performing an ITB stretch yet the Physio didn't think it was an ITB problem & thought it was more a low back issue. I have been doing a lot of ITB stretches & glute stretches which I "think" are helping. My query about the shoes was I had been running in a pair of Hoka Ones which in hindsight might not have been ideal given my size & mechanics (general tightness of glutes, ITB, hamstrings, slightly laterally deviated STJ). The right shoe (my symptomatic side) has greater lateral wear from heel to toes compared with the left shoe. I didn't want to complicate the Physios treatment but as I needed to purchase new runners, I was keen to hear what others thought on a shoe suitable for my weight & mechanics.

7. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

For the weight/impact you need a heavier shoe, by this l mean a denser soling compound that should not crush down too quickly.

Get a pair of Heinkie, small brand or get a pair of your favorite brand and get it re soled with a lateral flare and a firmer soling compound.

l do like Phil's idea of the boot if you dont mind the look.

8. Agreed

9. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  10. CraigT

CraigT Well-Known Member

Do they still have the Brooks Dyad??
    The traditional advice is for a 'neutral' type shoe, but I find these are generally too soft... a difficult selection problem.
    The Dyad has a useful niche design in that it is wide, flat and single density.

11. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

New Balance 1540, their best motion control shoe with both medial and lateral roll bars.

Steven

12. It must be asked

Zac
    What device are you wearing?

13. Zac

Zac Active Member

Hi Mike. Not wearing orthoses. Have been doing ITB/glute stretches & foam rolling in this seems to be settling things down.

14. good to hear, just seems that a device might be an answer to the orginal question complemented by the right shoes.

rather than shoes alone, but as you say settling down is the most important

15. CamWhite

CamWhite Active Member

If you can get your hands on a pair of Prospecs Power 400 series shoes, they just might do the trick for you. I have been wearing a pair for a month and it is practically impossible to supinate in them. A very nice sagittal plane shoe. Like
    yourself, I'm also a member of the 100kg+ club.

16. toomoon

toomoon Well-Known Member

if you are not actually intent on running, it might be worth considering a pair of technical tennis shoes. these are specifically designed to withstand high inversion loading

17. bruk

bruk Member

Zac,
    While your supinated foot may be a contributing factor, I doubt it is the causative factor for your hip pain. It sounds like the TFL, and probably glute medius are overly tight, which should be easily assessed in Thomas and Ober's test positions. The rectus femoris is usually tight with with these structures as well. Strategic myofascial release usually decreases these symptoms, at least for the short term.
    The true problem is probably a glute max issue, and/or a lack of hip joint mobility. I do gait-specific surface EMG testing for cases like these, targeting TFL, g.med and g.max. If you can find someone in your area that does this testing it can be invaluable. The results dictate the treatment; usually a progression of g.max recruitment drills (not the same as strengthening), and hip joint mobilization.

There may be a spine component, but spine sxs are probably more the result of dysfunction of the hip mobility and control.

As far as running shoes go, the Hokas might actually be a good choice, lots of cushion for a big guy. The key is to do a little video analysis to see how the foot behaves while running in them, as well as observe the mechanics up the limb all the way to at least the pelvis.

I'd be interested to see a video of your running mechanics. Let me know if you would be interested in sending me video.