Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

"Podiatric medicine" vs "podiatry"

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by w2m, Jan 13, 2011.

Tags:
  1. w2m

w2m Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi guys..

I'm a Saudi sponsored student by the Saudi Ministry of Higher Education,,I'm holding a bachelor degree in nursing with a G.P.A 3.30/4 and B+ grade..

I've noticed that some universities offer podiatric medicine and others offer podiatry..

what is the differences between the tow programs ?

and I've applied to the university of East London in UK

but since they want 7 in IELTS from the international students and I got only 6.5
    so the chance of accepting me is slim

so I applied to the university of western Sydney too!

so I would like to know if there is any other universities offer podiatric medicine-bachelor degree in UK or Australia ..

I need to submit a final acceptance to MOHE as soon as possible to process my scholarship documents

I greatly appreciate your time reading my thread,, and your reply means a lot to me

thanks

2. footfan

footfan Active Member

Re: podiatric medicine vs podiatry

Theres loads of schools here in the UK your just lazy!!

England - Scotland - Northern Ireland - Wales

England
    Contacts

Birmingham

Metropolitan College of Further and Higher Education
    Podiatry BSc(Hons)
    Jennens Road
    Birmingham
    B4 7PS
    Tel: +44 (0) 121 446 4545
    Fax: +44 (0) 121 503 8590
    Information Centre: +44 (0) 121 503 8500

Durham

New College Durham
    BSc (Hons) Podiatry Full-time
    Access to Higher Education (1 Year Option) Full-time
    Access to Higher Education (2 Year Option) Part-time
    New College Durham
    Framwellgate Moor Campus
    Framwellgate Moor
    Durham
    DH1 5ES
    Tel College Switchboard: +44 (0)191 375 4000
    Information Desk +44 (0)191 375 4040
    Admissions Office +44 (0)191 375 4210
    Fax: +44 (0)191 375 4222

Eastbourne

University of Brighton
    Podiatry BSc(Hons)
    University of Brighton
    Robert Dodd Building
    49 Darley Road
    Eastbourne
    East Sussex BN20 7UR
    Tel: (01273) 644701

Huddersfield

The University of Huddersfield
    Podiatry BSc(Hons)
    Division of Podiatry
    University of Huddersfield
    Queensgate
    West Yorkshire
    HD1 3DH
    Tel: 01484 471377
    Email: podiatryadmissions@hud.ac.uk
    Fax: +44 (0)1484 472380

London

University of East London
    BSc (Hons) Podiatric Medicine
    Stratford Campus
    Water Lane
    London E15 4LZ
    Tel: +44 (0)20 8223 3000
    E mail: mailto:podad@uel.ac.uk

Salford

University of Salford
    Podiatry Courses
    Salford Greater Manchester
    M5 4WT
    United Kingdom
    Tel: +44 (0)845 234 0184
    Email: fhsc@salford.ac.uk

Northampton

University of Northampton
    Podiatry BSc (Hons)
    The University of Northampton
    Park Campus
    Boughton Green Road
    Northampton
    NN2 7AL
    Tel: +44 (0)1604 735500
    Course Freephone: 0800 358 2232
    Email: study@northampton.ac.uk

Plymouth

University of Plymouth
    BSc (Hons) Podiatry
    University of Plymouth
    Podiatry Programme
    Peninsula Allied Health Centre
    Derriford Rd
    Plymouth
    PL6 8BH
    Tel: 01752 588800
    Programme Lead: Catherine Smith BSc (Hons), PGCE, MChS
    Web address: www.plymouth.ac.uk

Southampton

School of Health Sciences
    University of Southampton
    BSc Podiatry
    Faculty of Health Sciences
    Tel: +44 (0)2380 595500
    e-mail: healthsciences@southampton.ac.uk

Back to the top

Scotland

Contacts

Edinburgh

Queen Margaret University
    BSc (Hons) Podiatry
    BSc/BSc (Hons)

Queen Margaret University
    Edinburgh EH21 6UU
    Tel: +44 (0)131 474 0000

Glasgow

Glasgow Caledonian University
    Bsc(Hons) Podiatry
    Glasgow Caledonian University
    Cowcaddens Road
    Glasgow
    G4 0BA
    Scotland, UK
    Tel: +44 (0)141 331 3000
    Fax: +44 (0)141 331 3005

Back to the top

Northern Ireland

Contacts

Newtownabbey

Co. Antrim

University of Ulster
    BSc Hons Podiatry
    University of Ulster
    Shore Road
    BT37 0QB
    Tel: +44 (0)8 700 400 700

Back to the top

Wales

Contacts

Cardiff

University of Wales Institute Cardiff
    BSc (Hons) Podiatry
    Cardiff School of Health Sciences
    The Admissions Manager
    UWIC, PO Box 377
    Western Avenue
    Cardiff, CF5 2YB
    Tel: +44 (0)29 2041 6044/47
    Fax: +44 (0)29 2041 6286
    Email: uwicinfo@uwic.ac.uk

There is no difference between BSc (Hons) Podiatry andBSc (Hons) Podiatric Medicine regards employment oppertunities.

Australia has better schools / beaches in my personal opinion, so surfs up if you can afford to go there.

For someone who is bragging about grades your researching skills are none existant and you seem lazy.......................so youll love bondi beach

3. w2m

w2m Welcome New Poster

thank you for your rude replay

My question was about universities offer podiatric medicine not podiatry!!!!!
    actually I have contacted some of the universities that you wrote for me,,
    but the problem is that the ministry of higher education gave me a full scholarship for podiatic medicine not podiaty ,,
    as you said there is no differences in the employment opportunities, but in my country the name of the program makes differences and plays an important role regrading the employment registration by the commission of health specializations..

thanks a gain for your rudeness!

4. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

w2m

If you come here asking for advice and don't know a thing about the profession you are considering joining, then suck it up if you get a bit of a sledge.

My erstwhile colleague has just given you a tonne of useful information. I would suggest you are being rude in your response to her efforts to assist you.

Can I suggest you work out the meaning of the following words or terms:

1. podiatry
    2. podiatrist
    3. podiatric medicine/surgery/biomechanics/radiology/orthopaedics/etc

You will then realise that whatever nomenclature is used by a university to describe the course they are offering, they are all the *SAME*. Whether it is a bachelor/master/doctor of podiatry/podiatric medicine/podiatric practice - whatever - it is the regulatory body that approves qualifications that matters. Same applies for most professions - engineering, teaching, dentistry, you name it.

I think you need to do some more googling and wikipedia-ing to get a grasp on the profession you are considering joining, then try and ask some meaningful questions about the quality of the course you are considering. The name/title of the degree in *podiatry* has almost nothing to do with the *podiatrist* it graduates.

LL

5. LL and Jon way to welcome someone to the profession.

How do you know what has gone on before or why Podiatric medicine is important in a title.

So I really do think you should apologize and help spread the profession in a positive light. You may help a new person join Podiatry from the Middle East.

Poor effort you two in my option.

6. footfan

footfan Active Member

Mr.Weber,

I respectfully disagree, I gave the potential student advice when they clearly couldnt be bothered to use google or contact the society for advice. As Mr. LL rightly said the degrees have no differentiation other than name and the governing bodies clearly state this on NHS and society websites.

Also i would like to add if you re-read the posts i think youll find w2m is very "rude" using clearly aggressive language and extreme capital letters telling me to find him information on "offer podiatric medicine not podiatry!!!!!"- the exclamation marks are what i dont like.

I would also like to add the fact that i am a Senior member of PA and therefore you would think a potential student may reply more favourably, with a little more humour.

Thanks LL for taking the time to reply, i enjoy your posts here on PA

Just my 2 pennys.

7. Jon, w2m 1st post.

so w2m is asking whats the difference in podiatric medicine and podiatry in the title and explaining the uni´s he/she has applied too.

w2m is from Saudi and maybe uses English as their 2nd language is nicely asking whats the difference. Bear that in mind

which you reply

great Welcome why not just answer the Question if you know help spread Podiatry in a positive manor

here is you last line of your 1st post.

Jon is that being Rude ???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then w2m replied to you.

Jon the person scholarship requires PODIATRIC MEDICINE

iF you had of replied in a normal mannor maybe asked why Podiatric medicine is important, explained that it is the same thing.

w2m would not have replied in the way that they did, you would have also learnt that w2m needed the podiatric medicine in title to get a scolarship- kind of important, but you just called them lazy, nice.

As for
    are you serious - a senior member just means you have posted a certain times. Not like a PHD which is something you work for and need to have a certain standard to use the title Dr.

w2m if you read this maybe go back to the the ministry of higher education and explain that a degree in Podiatry will enable you to practice Podiatric medicine. The level and standard of the degree will be different from Country to country.

If you have anymore question ask and I will help if I can.

I would not worry about the others it´s a funny world sometimes.

8. blinda

blinda MVP

Hi w2m

First of all;

:welcome:

I can`t advise on the difference between `pod medicine` and `podiatry` degrees (I undertook the Southampton Pod BSc Hons degree and enjoyed every minute of it) but I would encourage you to attend for the interview at UEL. If you demonstrate a commitment to learning and they like you, then they will offer you a place. When I applied I did not full fill all criteria, yet they offered me a place on the strength of my interview.

Hope that helps!
    Holly

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/category/agony-aunt/

Darn, does that mean I have to stop using `PA Veteren` after my name on my headed paper?

9. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Not able to offer any advice on the topic but have to say I was somewhat taken aback by the strength of the replies! In fact I'd go so far as to say "disappointed" (not that my sense of disappointment should matter a jot to anyone).

As for the following:
    "I would also like to add the fact that i am a Senior member of PA and therefore you would think a potential student may reply more favourably, with a little more humour.

Didn't realise that being any level of member of PA had any significance!

10. I'm the "Top Poster" here and a "Podiatry Arena Veteran" and it counts for naff all. I've also been voted the "angriest podiatrist" on this site. Yet, I too think the response here was way over the top for the original post. Can I suggest lithium?

In a previous life, I had the opportunity of writing a new podiatry programme for the University of Plymouth, my big regret in retrospect was calling it "podiatry" and not "podiatric medicine". While those of us within the UK profession know there really is no difference, the word "medicine" in the title has meaning and significance both here in the UK and elsewhere in the world, as exemplified by the original posters responses.

Good luck with your studies, everyone.

11. footfan

footfan Active Member

Yes, my bi-polar coming out again. :D

12. Griff

Griff Moderator

I must admit I thought the initial response was unecessarily harsh.

And as for this:

That's just embarrassing Jon. Pulling rank on the arena? Whatever next. And from a guy who told me on another thread that he wouldn't call himself doctor if he completed a PhD? Hmmmm.

13. footfan

footfan Active Member

LOL I wasnt pulling rank I just meant that youd think someone whos barely posted before wouldnt make such an abrupt post to a sarcastic reply- yes on reflection it was harsh, its like asking a local in a pub what largers they sell, then when the local tells you to read the board of beers you wouldnt correct him and say i asked for largers not beers- rubbish example but first one that came into my head.

Cant beleive im being slated on PA for being proud that im apart of it :bash:

14. I can't believe it's not butter. No really, I can't.

15. footfan

footfan Active Member

See this is all just a case of lost in translation w2m

banter- An exclamation intended to commemorate the occurence of a witty, jovially insulting, hilarously harsh or awkward comment, as well as lubricating the passage of conversation so as to facilitate further banter in the near future.Supple ................Banter is something you either posses or lack, there is no middle ground. It is also something inherently English, stemming as it does from traditional hi-jinks and tomfoolery of British yesteryear.

Accessed on 17-01-2011 via http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=banter

Chin up =D

16. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

Pc seems to have a problem sorry all

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  17. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

As a veteran of Pod A and like Simon a contender for the angriest pod on the arena, and in the top 10 of posters on the arena, which also trumps you completly with your "percieved rank" your reply basicly means you screwed up and you were rude and unwelcoming /unhelpful to a new poster asking a sensible question.

Cant av that:cool:

What makes this rebuke worse is :-

I AM SMAE TRAINED :D:D !!!!!!

How does your "seniority" fare now :rolleyes: ????????????

There are times where we all get angry and make harsh comments
    To a new poster is not one of those times.
    Learn from that Jon
    Cheers
    D ;)

18. I'm sure he has "been learned".

Breathe now, Y'all.

Why did the chicken cross the road? etc etc..

19. Deborah Ferguson

Deborah Ferguson Active Member

Yeah...... give the guy a break.
    I thought the question straightforward and perfectly reasonable.
    Hope the reply doesn't put off others asking questions.
    Certainly scared me !

Cheers

Deborah
    Where are you in Saudi ? I worked on the military base in Tabuk many years ago.

Good luck with your applications.

20. MR NAKE

MR NAKE Active Member

For those that do not wish to be treated like garbbage, i suggest self awareness is better than bread!!!! Good luck W2M

21. davsur08

davsur08 Active Member

Wm2,
    Bachelor of Podiatry or Podiatric medicine has the same entity. howver in some countries where podiatric prescribing of pharaceutical drugs is not legalised, the podiatry course is emphasisied on to biomechanics more than medicine (like in NZL). dont get me wrong, these courses cover extensive internal medicine but the practical component is none. UWA perth offers bachelors in Podiatric medicine (which will be doctor of pod med from 2013) has internal medicne rotation for pod med students within hospitals. Long established pod courses within some unis like Latrobe and within UK continue to offer similar rotations for Bach of Pod degree. its my opinion that when prescribing rights have been approved in these territories they dint feel the need to change the name from pod to pod med.

my advice would be, the course descriptors for podiatry or pod med offered by individual universities provide comprehensive overview of what is covered within the degree.

hope this helps

and, Welcome to Podiatry Arena. If you wish to get in to Podiatry School, this arena would be a valuable source to you. so my friend, take no offence from the learned pple here. Buildup a thick hide. GOOD LUCK