Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Custom orthopaedic footwear

Discussion in 'Australia' started by malaligned, Jul 12, 2006.

Tags:
  1. malaligned

malaligned Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I wonder if anyone can help?

I have a long term diabetic client who has been approved for custom orthopaedic footwear after the amputation of 1st and 2nd digits on his right foot and 3rd ,4th and 5th digits on his left foot and slow to heal wounds.

The bootmaker who was assigned to make footwear provided a style with a three way seam at the recently healed amputation site and caused a reopening of the wound.

He states there is little choice in footwear styles (needs to be boot) that would open lower or elsewhere and thus not affect the ulcer site. I would prefer a single piece of leather that opens low at the toe. Does anyone know where there may be patterns or designs available to view?

2. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Hi Mal, how low does the opening have to go, looking at my own custom boots, not sure why ther would need to be a seam anywhere near the toes? I have no seams near toes? Can you give us a little more detail? There are boot makers and boot makers as I've found using them for myself? My current supplier has created great ftwr compared to some I've tried.
    hj

3. malaligned

malaligned Member

Thanks hj,
    sorry i didnt explain well.
    The right foot has the first second and third digits amputated with the suture line running from below first MPJ to base fourth digit,the ulcer is the result of a non healing suture line. The footwear made had the tongue,eylet piece and forfoot section joining at the base of the firstMPj which is the usual spot for tongue placement and entry point to be.

What i would like is footwear that moves this entry point distally to the toes so we avoid the ulcerated area and still allow entry to the shoes. As the foot has no joint mobility any higher entry would be useless.

Does this make it clearer, basically i would like to view some styles so i can show the bootmaker what i want and if he cant do it i will move on.

thanks for your help

4. malaligned

malaligned Member

Thanks hj,
    sorry i didnt explain well.
    The right foot has the first second and third digits amputated with the suture line running from below first MPJ to base fourth digit,the ulcer is the result of a non healing suture line. The footwear made had the tongue,eylet piece and forefoot section joining at the base of the first MPj which is the usual spot for tongue placement and entry point to be.

What i would like is footwear that moves this entry point distally to the toes so we avoid the ulcerated area and still allow entry to the shoes. As the foot has no joint mobility any higher entry would be useless.

Does this make it clearer, basically i would like to view some styles so i can show the bootmaker what i want and if he cant do it i will move on.

thanks for your help