Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Advice for new podiatry student

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Footbuster, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Footbuster

Footbuster Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,

Can anyone out there help me. I am due to start at Salford this september and have been out of the studying game since 1996. Can anyone give any advice about what is the hardest part of the studying and which If any books I must get - there are so many about :confused:

cheers

2. Dawn Bacon

Dawn Bacon Active Member

Dear Footbuster,
    Book choice is a highly personal matter. Before you spend a great deal of money, may I suggest borrowing copies of core texts from the university library? Later study is more likely to be dependent on journal artices rather than books, so my advice (for what it is worth) is not to go too mad on book purchase.

The hardest part of study? Again depends on your personality and circumstances. For me it was finding the stamina required! The course is very much a marathon rather than a sprint.

The very best of luck with your course. If I can help further send me a PM (message that is NOT Mr Blair :eek: )

3. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

The course organisers will provide you with a recommended reading list. Just contact them. The core text for podiatry are pretty standard e.g Lorimer et al; Merrimen and Turner and Tollafied and Merrimen. Journal articles are more current and these you will gain access to via the university library. Again worth an appointment although most program swill have an induction to all the university services built in. You should also make an appointment at your earliest convenience with the student services at Salford who will be able to help you prepare for learning.

As Craig says time managment is critical. Be prepared to take instruction, share your work in progress with your supervisors and be prepared to rewrite your assignments, at least three times before submission.

Cheers
    Cameron

4. mandy236

mandy236 Member

Hi,
    I am about to enter 2nd year at Salford Uni, and as your other replies suggest, don't worry too much about having books. You will be well equipped with handouts in the early stages. Sometimes it can get confusing if you try and read up on stuff. I bought a few books and they are still in their wrappers! You will be given a suggested reading list, so you may be better off using that and visiting the library. This way helps you to figure out your learning style, ie diagrams or text. Enjoy 1st year.

5. Footbuster

Footbuster Guest

Hi Mandy

Thanks v much for the advice. As part of a leaving present from work they very secretly rang Gilly and asked her for advise of which books maybe useful. So they bought Assessment of the lower Limb, and I have an atlas of the foot and leg still to come. Just really nervous and want to make sure that I am a bit ahead of myself as I have only studied Business and Finance since leaving Salford Uni over 10 years ago.

Good Luck in your second year

6. Lee

Lee Active Member

Hello,

All the advice above is good. If I was to suggest any pre-course reading that would be of use, I'd go for a decent anatomy book. It sounds like you're already getting McMinn's atlas of the lower limb, but a more accessible (and cheaper) book is Portisky's 'Foot and Lower Extremity Anatomy to Color and Study'. It's a useful resource that you'll need to come back to throughout your studies and into your future career, so I'd recommend it. See -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1560534818/epodiatry-21/026-3828167-1846009

Aside from that you're getting Assessment of the Lower Limb, so the only other useful type of book I could recommend would be a medicine book such as Kumar and Clark's 'Clinical Medicine', which the medicine lecturer at Salford usually recommends (either level 2 or 3 in your degree, but it's a good reference for practicing in the future)-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...97849/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_3_1/026-3828167-1846009

Like has been suggested before, you'll find journals useful, but I'd wait until you start before using the library's collection after following advice from your tutors. You can also have a look at www.epodiatry.com. It's got some useful links.
    Good luck,
    Lee

7. Footbuster

Footbuster Guest

Lee,

Many thanks for your reply I will have a look at the links you have posted

Cheers
    Kim

8. carolethecatlover

carolethecatlover Active Member

What O and A levels did you have? Carole

9. Footbuster

Footbuster Guest

Hi Carole.

I did not do my education the conventional way around, as i went to work straight from school( many years ago)

Did GCSEs and then did Access exams to get to uni the first time round, so this time time I did not need to pass anything as I already had my Biology degree.

How come your asking??? :)

10. Cazzie

Cazzie Welcome New Poster

Hi Footbuster
    I am also starting my second year at Salford Uni, the lectures are excellent and most info is gained through these, some of our fellow students take in little tape recorders, the library is well accomodated with lots of medical books and journals, and you will be given a list of recommended reading. I have found a good anatomy and physiology book helpful (Totora), and during the anatomy workshops we photo the leg models with digital camera's which helps with revision. Don't despair the lecturers are behind you and they are only to happy to help.

11. Footbuster

Footbuster Guest

Cazzie,

Thanks for the advice and good tip about the camera, I will be sure to do that. I am really lookimg forward to this as I have wanted to do it for years but just did not have the courage to give up a well paid job. But i have done and only 2 more weeks to go YiPPPPPPPPPEEE. We may meet on the Friday when we are with 2nd year students.

12. amcclean

amcclean Member

Do you mean you are allowed to take photos of cadavers?

I would have thought that this would be a definite no no. Given that you do not see the faces it seams odd.

Or are you photographing synthetic models.

I certainly wouldn't like to be in a class where the lecture stops for everyone to take photos. it would drive me nuts.

A

13. Rezwana

Rezwana Welcome New Poster

hello

thought i'd say hello on the podiatry arena. i'll be going into the second year of podiatry and the best advice i can give is to manage time well and seek help if unsure about anything. the staff at the university are very approachanble.

Rezwana :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2006
  14. mahtay2000

mahtay2000 Banya Bagus Makan Man

Catch public transport and watch people walking to work. Look for similarities in their their gait patterns, shoe wear, posture and general appearance and wait for the lectures to provide the 'Aha!' light above your head.
    Study the correlation between plantar callus patterns and foot types!