Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Motion control shoe affects temporal activity of quadriceps in runners

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, Nov 9, 2009.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Motion control shoe affects temporal activity of quadriceps in runners
    R T H Cheung, G Y F Ng
    British Journal of Sports Medicine 2009;43:943-947

2. Anyone able to email me a copy of this one ?

From reading the short amount written here....... And if we forget about the 6 degrees of pronation bit ( thats the big elephant sitting in the corner), is this another study which helps show the neurological response to stiffness?

The motion control shoe will compress less ie be more stiff ?

3. Griff

Griff Moderator

Michael,

I have a subscription to this journal, but the website appears to be down at the moment. I will try again later tonight and post it up here once I've got an electronic copy.

Ian

4. Interesting. In theory the motion control shoe should be stiffer in the medial aspect than the lateral aspect of the mid-sole. The nature of this depends on the shoes they used in the study. However, I suspect from reading the abstract that we will not be able to draw definitive conclusions regarding stiffness from this study. The higher density foam on the medial portion of the shoe usually results in a heavier shoe, it's possible that the results may be explained by this factor too. Some shoes, e.g. the Saucony Stabil attempt to use modification in the upper in addition to the mid-sole to "control" the foot. The EMG activity may have changed for a number of reasons; surface stiffness being only one of them, but interesting none-the-less.

5. That would be great Ian. Thanks

6. Griff

Griff Moderator

Here it is Mike

Attached Files: