Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Effective treatment of plantar fasciitis

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by JaY, Feb 1, 2012.

1. JaY

JaY Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Am I living in the dark ages to think that orthotics are the only way to go as a long-term treatment of plantar fasciitis?!?! Because basically I need to support that arch (and correct all other biomechanical anomalies), otherwise that little muscle is still going to "pull"...

I cannot think of other effective ways of doing this?! Doing or sending for remedial therapy is just going to relieve symptoms and cause minimal healing only...

Please offer me (this young, inexperienced podiatrist) some advice... :boohoo:

2. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Hi JaY

I think if you search the various threads regards Plantar Fasciitis / Fasciosis on this site it will go a long way towards answering your question.

From my perspective I will use any treatment modality that addresses the underlying issue, which may mean using an orthosis; simply soft tissue work alone; combine the two; may throw in some joint mobilisation. Others here will likely use acupuncture as well as may be an orthosis.

I think that determining what you think is the primary underlying cause of the PF will go some way to dictating your starting point and where to go from there.

3. JaY

JaY Active Member

Thank you Ian :empathy:

4. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

5. foot4455

foot4455 Member

I tell patients custom orthotics treat the cause of plantar fasciitis and is the only thing that can. That being said, studies show orthotics cure fasciitis/fasciosis 80% of the time. Achilles tendon stretching is #1 treatment. Icing, nsaids, stiff midsole tennis shoe with good heel counter, Steroid injections, rest all help too. It's usually a few things at once I find, takes 2-3 visits to resolve any fasciitis. giving custom orthotics and a few office visits pay as much as one surgery for it. I try everything before surgery for heel pain, usually just 10% of patient's need shockwave or epf with me.