Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Looking for volunteers for leprosy work in India

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by gez, May 25, 2011.

1. gez

gez Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all

I'm a long time lurker and very occasional poster on the arena.

Currently I am living in Kolkata India, working on a voluntary basis for a NGO called Calcutta rescue.
    I work in the main with Leprosy patients treating Neuropathic wounds. The work here is incredibly varied and more often than not challenging. Add to that living in somewhere as crazy and diverse as kolkata and I can honestly say no two days have been the same since I got here.

Calcutta rescue was set up in in the late 70's. Podiatrists have always provided an important service within Cal rescue. Unfortunately the number of podiatry volunteers has fallen.
    I would encourage and podiatrist looking for a challenge and the chance to live in an interesting and different environment to consider volunteering. Most placements are for 6 months but longer placements are always available.

Below is a link to the Calcutta rescue web site which has more information that I could ever type here. If you are thinking of volunteering send them an e-mail to info@calcuttarescue.org

http://http://www.calcuttarescue.org/

Thanks
    gez :D

2. maxants33

maxants33 Active Member

Hi gez
    Im about to start my Podiatry degree in england but Im currently out traveling in south east Asia and Im getting pretty excited about the fact that I could some day work out here with leprosy patients. Unfortunatly i havent even started freshers week (!) but I will try to keep your NGO in mind, its great to see posts by Pods like your self, its inspirational for wannabes like me !

Max

3. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Hi congrats on your work. Often Pods looking to Volunteer! Hopefully you will get some assistance. Are shorter placments possible?

Cheers

4. gez

gez Member

Hi hj-ray, at the minute Calcutta rescue are looking for a minimum of 6 months commitment for placements. To be honest it does take a while to get to grips with the working environment here so I think six months is about right.

Max good look with Uni mate, best years of your life...and I cannot recommend volunteering enough its a great experience and a great way to see another side to a country.

5. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Hi Gez

Sorry, can't commit to 6 months +.

I'm just a little confused. Postings on another thread suggest that podiatry (and podiatric surgery) is not recognised in India, although, paradoxically, there is a Podiatry Association. How are the volunteers covered by insurance for a practice which does not exist?

I'm not being at all negative, because I think that you are doing great work and our profession should be recognised for our input in this area. I'm just intrigued.

All the best

Bill

6. Ninjasox

Ninjasox Active Member

Sounds interesting, so i'm guessing your living requirements are taken care of (food/accn), just a matter of providing your own spending money? How many pods do you have there at the moment?

7. MicW

MicW Active Member

gez

I am also very interested. The more information you can give on Ninjasox's questions the better.

Ta