Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

State Registration Enquiry

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Ms.H, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Ms.H

Ms.H Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi

I'm a UK Pod emigrating to Oz. I've got my skills recognised by the APodC, but the question is - when I arrive in Oz is it compulsory to then register with the State Podiatry Board of whichever state I decide to settle in?

Also, if I decided to change states after I've moved here will I have to pay the full registration fee to the new state pod board?

Thanks a lot

Ms H

2. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

3. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

Dear Ms H,

Yep you have to register with the STATE Health Registration Board of the state you wish to work in.

Yo can look up the Australian Podiatry Council on the interweb thingy.

Also look up the Austalian Podiatry Association for the state you are interested in.

I am reg with the NEW SOUTH WALES HEALTH REGISTRATION BOARD.

You cannot legally practice without being reg with the state you wish to work in.

Here is costs approx $150.00 per year.

Also CPD is compulsory in order to maintain yourself on the register each year.

regards David

4. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

5. wear84

wear84 Member

Hi Ms H

I'm also moving over to Oz - can I ask how long it took your application with the APODC to be approved?

Cheers

6. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

In victoria it costs $363 for initial registration and $286 for renewal, and no CPD unless you are a prescriber

The board has just launched its new website

http://www.podboardvic.vic.gov.au/

7. Lorraine Munro

Lorraine Munro Active Member

Hi there,
    I just thought I would add that depending on your age, you may need to be sponsored by a prospective employer. We have just been through this process to employ a Uk lady who was over the age of 31 It was quite a lengthy and arduous task.
    Hopefully you wont have to go through it
    Regards Lorraine

8. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

Dear Lorraine,

You are right, it took my employer and myself 9 months to get a 457 visa.:bash:

On arrival as i am an old bastard 48 years on arrival i had to sit a competency exam at the UNI.:butcher:

Then get a CPR/Anaphylaxis cert and then get reg with the NSW Health Registration Board. This was challenging in itself but hey i have been working nearly 2 years now and will be applying for permanent residency after 18082008.:drinks

So it can be a challenging process.

Make sure you are about 25-30 with a degree and at least 5 years experience then it is a much easier process.

If you are a bit long in the tooth, remeber Aus has enough oldies of its own and doesnt really want any more.

It is about $350 pa for NSW and CPD is mandatory annually and failure to do hours and get points means loss of registration very very quickly.

Then you have to have Indemnity ins here which is expensive.

I maintain my membership of SOCAP as an overseas practicing member as it is cheaper. When i get residency i will have to give that up and join NSW APODA and use their ins.

If you like it cold come to Sydney it is ever so very terribly cold here and the houses are somewhat very much colder.:boohoo:

So boily bot bed socks 2 duvets are required in an effort to try and stay warm.

I have seen Ulcers here chill blains too all because the devils here do not know how to heat their houses. Even seen one case of frostbite. Today had a lady with two ulcerated chillblains :butcher:

regards David

9. Lorraine Munro

Lorraine Munro Active Member

Hey there,
    Yeh talking about chillblains. I moved to Port Stephens just past Newcastle about 10 years ago now and in the last 2 weeks I have sn 3 people with chillblains:wacko: never seen them up here before. Its cold.:eek:
    Regards Loraine