Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

A surgical case?

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by Kahuna, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Kahuna

Kahuna Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    A question to the surgeons please...

I have a young male patient (32 years old) who has presented wanting to know what his podiatric condition is...

He has no ankle equinus, but he has no ability to move either foot medially, even when standing on tiptoe whilst medially rotating the tibia.

He has been to numerous orthopaedic surgeons who haven't provided a diagnosis or treatment plan, although they've found his limited ankle mortice ROM of interest.

He has no symptomatic pain, but is frustrated at the limitations of his rearfoot mechanics, especially as he finds it impacts on his skill/ability when playing football.

Thanks

2. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

kahuna

You have given no information of your own assessment and findings...

If you could provide some basic orthopaedic examination findings you will be more likely to get some sensible opinions. Even better, provide at least copies of weight-bearing AP, lat and MO films of the foot and ankle +/- Harris & Beath views.

Given the scant details, have you excluded a middle facet subtalar joint or calcaneo-navicular coalition? This would generally be the most obvious cause of ROM limitation in the hindfoot.

LL

3. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

I'm with LL.
    "no ability to move either foot medially" is of no value.

One point though, any sub talar coalition is not that difficult to diagnose. I can't imagine "numerous" orthopedic surgeons missing this pathology. Perhaps something more occult (read - interesting!)

Steve

4. Kahuna

Kahuna Active Member

OK thanks for replies - I'll ask pt for appropriate XR

5. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

"OK thanks for replies - I'll ask pt for appropriate XR"

That's not what will help us help you.
    How about a complete history and an examination (ortho exam, gait analysis, etc....) post the results and we can perhaps digest the data and see what we come up with.

Steve

6. tonyw

tonyw Member

Sounds like a coalition

Tony wilkinson

7. nlortizdpm

nlortizdpm Member

I agree with Steve and LL. Please provide us with more information.