Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Moderately ischemic diabetic foot ulcers do respond to TCC

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by admin, Jan 27, 2005.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Total Contact Casting of the Diabetic Foot in Daily Practice
    A prospective follow-up study
    Marrigje H. Nabuurs-Franssen, Ron Sleegers, Maya SP Huijberts, Wiel Wijnen, Antal P. Sanders, Geert Walenkamp and Nicolaas C. Schaper

From Diabetes Care

2. podrick

podrick Active Member

total contact casting

the question i would have,is whether the idea of casting a patient with an ischemic ulcer via total contact casting within the parameters of standard of care.ischemic ulcers by their nature tend to become infected and necrotic rather easily.how would one be able to monitor such changes within a contact cast?

3. gflorido

gflorido Member

I agree with PodRick. How would you be able to monitor the wound?. I think that the only benefice is that the patient is urge not to walk and therefore doesn't apply charges to the foot.

4. Erp

Erp Member

TCC works

My experience with casting is we change the casts every week to 10 days, debride the wound and redress with very absorbant dressings as appropriate.
    Casting dramatically reduces the amount of exudate produced almost immediately, possibly due to the reduction of localised oedema.
    This is turn helps control the development of infection: no bugs can get in there! Our only problem has been with obese patients who break the casts and need to be reviewed more often.
    It really does work if the cast is applied appropriately, and the results are dramatic for wound healing.
    We don't use casts on infected wounds and would swab to exclude this before applying the cast.
    ERP