Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Liquid Insoles - Thoughts people?

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by bmjones1234, Mar 24, 2012.

1. bmjones1234

bmjones1234 Active Member

2. efuller

efuller MVP

In the early 90's when I was at CCPM someone came to us to test some silicon filled devices (no channels). I found them unstable. For example when you push off on your right foot, moving laterally to your left, you will tend to put more weight on the outside of your foot and this will squish all of the viscous fluid to the medial side that will tend to invert you. For my foot, it was better than no orthosis, but not as good as my rigid orthoses.

The department chairman described the feeling as stepping into a cow pie.

Eric

3. CEM

CEM Active Member

have seen some prototypes a few years ago of one filled with a cork & ceramic clay paste with channels in them, as the foot warmed up the clay it becomes softer and more malleable

from what i remember they had some base shape to them too in terms of a heel cup and basic arch shape, the flow material moved between the arch and the forefoot

4. With a strategic channel design and filled with a non-Newtonian fluid the concept might become interesting.

5. bmjones1234

For a personal Thank you - The Cow Pie made my day, you should recommend that to be their sale slogan!

B

6. bmjones1234

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Surely you could cheat and add a valve system within the compartments. This valve could be pressure operated allowing movement with pressure to be more gradual then when the foot is in swing phase it resets.

The liquid perhaps should be substituted for a quasi-solid like toothpaste. Combine both could again as a more gentle resistance to the forces. Without the spring effect aforementioned in the Cow Pie post.

B