Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Help With Paediatric Situation

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by cdm2333, Jul 11, 2012.

1. cdm2333

cdm2333 Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello Pod Arena!

I have a 5 year old female who has come in experiencing bilateral pain of 5th met styloid. mother mentions that it swells from time to time, especially when participating in athletics/running activities. mother mentions that swelling can be as big as a golf ball with bruising too. in initial consult young girl only felt slight tenderness but was bearable, but complains when sore. at first i thought that it could be a suspected avulsion off 5th met styloid/osteochondrosis type injury. Patient also has a pronated foot type throughout gait (walking and running). Xrays have also been done, no evidence of stress fractures.osteochondrosis etc, but just increase density within the tissue which contours the both 5th met styloid. so i thoughout it could be just the tightening of the peroneal muscles (which were actually quite tight, slightly tender). so management treatment plan was that i adviced stretching, RICE + appropriate footwear. i will be reviewing this patient within 3 weeks to see if the pain has reduced etc... but within long term treatment orthotics will be included in the treatment plan. does anyone else have any ideas with this situation? will help alot :)
    thank you

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  3. cdm2333

cdm2333 Member

Thank you craig,
    Yes Iselins disease did cross my mind, so i based my management plan around it, i just wanted to make sure my diagnosis/treatment plan was on the right track. however, does it matter if there were no signs of any osteochonrosis of the 5th met styloid on the xrays?

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I don't recall seeing any x-ray changes in the ones I have seen.

5. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

5 or 15? You say 5 in your post, it wouldn't be Iselin's if that is the age, 15 it probably is. Can you clarify?

Then also, give more neurological, developmental and biomechanical information if it is a 5 year old as it isn't usual for pain there in this age.