Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Nail polish and onychomycosis

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Simone Lee, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Simone Lee

Simone Lee Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Just wondering if there is any evidence that links heavy use of toenail polish and fungal nails?
    I have treated a few ladies who use nail polish and complain of recurrent infections after using Lamisil oral.
    Thanks
    Simone

2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Not aware of any evidence (dosen't mean there is none), but it pretty standard advice:
    http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00084.html
    http://www.foothealthfdn.org/fungalnails.htm

[/font]

3. John Spina

John Spina Active Member

Oral antifungals

Well,I have at least one patient who had nail salon syndrome after she had her nail "mangled" by a nail tech.SHE WILL NOT TAKE LAMISIL!I gave her a topical w/osuccess. I also told her do not apply nail polish.

4. dsfeet

dsfeet Active Member

ive had lots of patients get fungal finger nails from nail techs , seems to be more from sharing the use of nail files from one patient to the next.
    nail polish although dont know of any empirical evidence base studies but from a propositional knowledge viewpoint, i feel nail polish (when continuing used) does encourage fungal elements and nail discoloration

5. tracyd

tracyd Welcome New Poster

Hi

One question I would ask the patients is if they used that same nail polish on their nails when they actually had the infection.

It could be possible fungal elements are living in the brush of the nail polish and therefore reinfecting the nail???

6. Scorpio622

Scorpio622 Active Member

I tell my patients who wish to continue with pedicures to purchase their own set of instruments and take them to the salon. Sterilization is then never an issue.

7. R.E.G

R.E.G Active Member

A few years ago a company called LCN was promoting a synthetic nail system to Pods in the UK.

They claimed it would cure fungal nails. I never saw the evidence for the claim and in line with the arguments above thought the opposite.

Anyone use it or have an update?

Another recent post was for the Klenz 'nano silver' machine. Tried it it did work. One of the sales pitches is it is effective against fungal spores. My understanding is that nanosilver is not active against fungus, but the machine also generates ozone and ozone is. Would this be a useful tool for pedicurists?

Bob

8. footsiegirl

footsiegirl Active Member

the main problem with nail polish , and more specifically acrylic nails, is that is weakens the nail and also creates a space between the acrylic and the weakened nail, to harbour moisture, thus providing a good environment for fungal growth

9. cornmerchant

cornmerchant Well-Known Member

tracyd

Logically, could a fungal spore survive in a nail brush on a diet of nail varnish? I dont know, but what I do know that is women who wear their nail varnish for extended periods of time seem to develop disclouration that is not necessarily fungal, but sometimes a very superficial white mycosis which often left without treatment seems to grow out by itself. Just my own observations.Is it more a case of the occlusive nature of the nail varnish trapping the fungal spores underneath allowing them to get to work in secret?
    Cornmerchant

10. hamish dow

hamish dow Active Member

Here is a suggestion; advise a rest period from the varnish and debridement of the nail with tungsten carbide burs instead of grit types. the TC bur shaves the nail rather than chew up the surface, then advocate extensive use of surface applications. If there is a huge urge to paint again suggest that it is removed after 24-48 hours and allowed to rest again and never reapply immediately after a bath or showe, allow time to thoroughly dry out defore reapplication

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010