Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Top covers for PTTD

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by GG_101, May 31, 2011.

1. GG_101

GG_101 Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi All,

Im a student and just want to clarify something about a patient with PTTD and orthotics.

If their career requires them to be moving/walking around all day then I suspect leather would not be the most appropriate top cover (does not absorb moisture and can be unhygienic if one sweats).
    I thought maybe neoprene would be the best as it does absorb moisture, but it's downside is that it can be compressed easily.

Could anyone offer some suggestions on what would be the most appropriate top cover for someone experiencing PTTD?

Thanks!

2. Before Robin P gets in and steals my thunder again, It depends (HA! In your face Robin).

Personnally, I prefer 1mm low density EVA to leather for a topcover in patients who will wear their devices very heavily. Its robust and does not go hard when it is sweated into. However it depends on many other variables. What is the cover covering? Does it have to conform into a heel cup? Is it to be worn in a heavy boot indoors or a light shoe outdoors? What is the intention of the device (the topcover may change the force vector)? Is cushioning required? Whats the climate? What is the foot like? etc etc etc.

It depends. There will never be a single right answer, just a list of factors to consider when reaching it for yourself.

3. Kursh Mohammed

Kursh Mohammed Active Member

You could use the following, cool max, Nora Lunairmed (which is my favourite).
    Any low-medium density nora is great, a closed cell material and very well wearing.
    Or an alternative to that would be 3mm Algeofoam.

4. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

To be honest, I was just going to jump right in with 1mm EVA. It's cheap, thermoforming, closed cell and can be wiped down. Resonably high friction to prevent "sliding down the slope"

But really.........it depen...just use 1mm EVA!

Robin

5. That company sells as coolmax rivestimeto for orthotics??
    There is also thermolite??
    Thanks

6. Page23

Page23 Active Member

Yampi?

Hardwearing
    Non-insulating
    Non-absorbant
    Easy to clean
    Is thin so can be applied to many materials as a top cover without compromise

7. footdoc666

footdoc666 Welcome New Poster

I like to use Spenco because it is more cushiony but more importantly I have it extended about 1 1/2" (~4cm) medially into a soft flange that pushes into the medial side of the shoe. It keeps them from pronating off the device and gives the navicular a cushion to hit against. It really helps for my PTTD patients.