Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

patient vascular conclusion

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by music124, Aug 21, 2016.

1. music124

music124 Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    hi all.

student here. if a patient has biphasic pulses but capillary refill time, hair growth and nails are normal results what do i conclude from this? i've read biphasic pulses represent moderate arterial elasticity so this decreases vascular status as triphasic represents good/better arterial elasticity.

so confused

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    biphasic = mild/moderate problem
    capillary refill time = largely meaningless
    hair and nail growth = not reliable indicator

3. Mark_M

Mark_M Active Member

Hi Music,
    You're not confused, your correct.
    Vascular assessments can be subjective. With your patient i would consider them mild-moderate risk of complications. A bi phasic wave form indicates early stages of peripheral arterial disease. As Craig mentioned the other aspects of your assessment are indicators only(along with palpable pulses).
    Some people say the Ankle Brachial Index is the most objective measurement for PAD.

4. emhm

emhm Member

I think for uni purposes, you're right in thinking about mentioning a decrease in perfusion can be indicated by biphasic waveforms. However, in clinical practice, apart from a damp monophasic waveform or a clear triphasic waveform it's a grey area. I know Nursing Times isn't the greatest source of scientific literature, but at short notice it's the only thing I can find that mentions that we may lose that vessel elasticity as part of the aging process so will often see biphasic waveforms in the absence of any other signs or symptoms of disease (as you're seeing in that case example):

https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinic...-ankle-brachial-pressure-index/205076.article

If they're not symptomatic, no claudication, no delayed healing, and all those other signs are fine, my humble opinion would be no further investigation required (other than ABI and maybe TBI because the ABI would be at increased risk of false elevation from intimal sclerosis).

ABI is alright, but TBI is a better indicator of pedal perfusion if you're really concerned: ABI is more a screening, and in the setting I'm in now, I use the ABI and the waveforms as well as the clinical picture to assess whether to do a TBI, which I'll do if the feet look dodgy or I don't believe the numbers from the ABI eg mono or unclear biphasic waveform.

Just my opinion, good luck!

5. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

A biphasic pulse with no other symptoms is not a problem. I wonder what percentage of otherwise healthy men over fourth/fifty years have triphasic pulses?

I would forget the capillary refill time unless you think your patient might be suffering from shock.

I would also look at temperature gradient, the colour and condition of the skin and subcutaneous fat and muscle bulk, comparing one side with the other. I might even question the patient about intermittent claudication.

Always recognising that a diabetic with biphasic pulses can still have a foot ulcer.

Good luck,

Bill

PS The answer to the following question will put you at the top of the class. What is actually happening to produce the different sounds?