Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Bone Cyst talus

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by naldalypod, May 6, 2010.

1. naldalypod

naldalypod Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    As a new member, I have a case for which I would like to hear your opinion regarding proper management of this case which I will present to you.
    agement. I've been in private practice for some 19 years and a collea-
    gue of mine refers me this 27y/o male with what appears to be an aneurysmal bone cyst on the neck and 2/3 of the body/trochlea of talus on his left foot. It started with an insiduos onset of discomfort along the medial midfoot some 6 months ago, aggravated with ambulation and has progressed to a sharp and throbbing pain, mostly with rest, and gets relief only when wears a Cam Boot. Has tenderness over the talus and TN joint and anterior ankle mortise with lack of dorsiflexion. The MRI diagnosed it as ABC.
    I'm considering a 3 phase bone scan, and told my colleague to do first a needle biopsy just to make sure we aren't dealing with a giant cell tumor. My concern is that because ot the extent of the lesion the talus could fracture during surgery, or develops AVN, and to a lesser extent arthrosis incapacitating this young man for life. He works at a Sam,s Club warehouse stocking merchandise all day long.
    What are the options??

2. Ist :welcome: to Podiatry Arena.

Not a surg option. I have a patient with somewhat similar problems. Increased walking and walking on uneven ground symptoms are increased.

The patients pain is much more increased on inversion and eversion of the Subtalar joint. Dorsiflexion and Planatarflexion ok if there is no deviation from plane.

Patient has been told surg not an option, I taped her and put her in a rocker shoe symptoms reduced from a 8/10 to a 2-3/10. We are now working around a more permanent treatment approach, using an orthotic and rocker with a ankle brace from long walks. Might be something to consider if Surg is not an option. ie the camwalker helps so maybe something similar but less bulky maybe an option.

Hope it helps something and welcome again to Podiatry Arena. Maybe post up some xrays you may get some more advice re surg. To do this go advanced and scroll down to where you see the manage attachments click on that and follow the instructions.
    Goodluck

3. naldalypod

naldalypod Welcome New Poster

Thanks for your advice!