Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Mucoid Cyst

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Heather J Bassett, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,
    to inject or excise?
    Does anyone have experience in the treatment of these.
    The references I have read are from some time back and prefer excision?
    I would appreciate your experience,
    thanks
    kind regards
    heather

2. Heather J Bassett

This is also called myxoid cyst? is that right?
    thanks
    h

3. moe

moe Active Member

what are the benefits of either? Don't they "regrow"
    Iona:)

4. Heather J Bassett

Hmmm sorry I can't help you with that, thus the reason for my querie? Hopefully we will both find out??
    Thanks,
    h

5. podoalf

podoalf Active Member

Hi hj--ray !

Excuse me for my bad English.

In my opinion, it is preferable to excise. In my experience, the injection has a high rate of recurrence. The excision too, but the rate is so low. I´ve exised mucoid cysts at the eponichyum (arund the nail) of the Hallux. In that case series I´ve no recurrence (yet) at 1 year follow up. However, in two mucoid cysts at the calcaneum-navicular joint (in both pes cavus) I´ve two recurrences. One of them, requires re-surgery because is painful, the other not ant the recurrence is so little and without patient´s complaints.

I Hope that my opinion could be helpful for you.

6. Heather J Bassett

Thanks for letting me know of your experience Alfonso, your english is fine.
    cheers, h

7. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Nail changes and association of osteoarthritis in digital myxoid cyst.
    Lin YC, Wu YH, Scher RK.
    Dermatol Surg. 2008 Mar;34(3):364-9.

8. NavyFootDoc

NavyFootDoc Welcome New Poster

I heard a gentleman back here in the US at a seminar that excised the mucoid cyst then applied a short burst of cryotherapy ( liquid N2 ) to the area in order to help reduce the recurrence.

Dr. J

9. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

In my experience (circa 94) there is no re-growth provided that the cyst is fully excised with a double elliptical incision and the joint capsule coapted.

All the best

Bill