Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Sea Urchin spikes

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by RussAgg, Jul 10, 2008.

1. RussAgg

RussAgg Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi
    Has anyone any experience of removing embedded sea urchin spikes from the plantar surface of the foot? Strange request I know but a colleague says she's heard urine (presumably the pt's own) or vinegar might help.
    Thanks, Russ.

2. Gill R

Gill R Member

A nurse colleague came back from holiday having stood on one - and I painstakingly picked them out for her - isn't the urine/vinegar thing to do with jellyfish stings?

Gill

3. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Hi Russ,

I've removed sea urchin spikes several times in the past.

No need for LA.

1. Pare away any surrounding callous which may make removing them difficult.

2. Using a no 11 blade gently ease each spike out so that it can be grasped with tweezers (rather than forceps since the spikes are brittle).

As Gill says, painstaking but your pt will love you for the end result!

Cheers,

4. RussAgg

RussAgg Active Member

Thanks for that David - very helpful.
    Russ.

5. pgcarter

pgcarter Well-Known Member

I once had so many embedded in my hand it was not possible to pick them all out. The finer ones were just absorbed over time....I did have a pretty puffy hand for some time though.