Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

New Zealand Earthquake

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by mike weber, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Christchurch NZ was hit with an Earthquake of 7.4 then and aftershock of 7.1 on the other day as most would aware of.

Just a small note to any of my old school mates from Pod school and any pods in Christchurch , Hope you and family are all ok etc.

2. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Yeah

Let us all know how you are doing there.

All the best

Pommie Bastard Bill

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I was talking to my parents on Skype a few hours after it happened --- 3 after shocks happened when talking; I could see the house shake in the background and how frightened they were ....

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    With so many of the old historic building that Christchurch is known for getting damaged, I have spent a lot of time looking at pictures on the various news sites as I know a lot of the buildings well.

I came across a link that said: "sadest earthquake picture" ... and thought I better go and look at this picture! A least someone has a sense of humour...what a waste...

5. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    The ABC is Reporting:
    Oh baby: quake shakes NZ mums into labour
    A record number of babies were born in Christchurch in the aftermath of the earthquake
    Full Story

6. Simon Wheeler

Simon Wheeler Welcome New Poster

Cheers Mike and others.
    most of us were up in Wellington at the bi-annual Podiatry NZ conference when it happened.
    it was a long day up there being away from families etc and not really knowing what was going on.
    Its been a long week, some of Podiatrists (including myself) around town have clinics that are still awaiting inspection from engineers before entry is allowed, I know of 1 that may be looking for a new location.
    The aftershocks are beginning to settle, but are still making people jumpy.
    Always someone worse of though, as I was working yesterday feeling sorry for myself, when a 84 YO widowed male came in still with no water on at home and having had 5 ton of sand/mud/silt/sh*t removed from the back of his unit, he had driven an hour to his son's place for a shower before returning for his appointment!

hardy bunch us mainlanders you know!

Mike also congrats on the photos.
    cheers
    Simon

7. barry hawes

barry hawes Active Member

Yes you are a hardy bunch, and not just at rugby! I've been watching the footage on news reports. I don't know of a more resilient and resourceful nation who could recover from an event like this.

Good luck and kind regards,

Barry Hawes

8. W J Liggins

Hi Simon

Not only good at rugby, but considerate too! Fancy driving for 1 hr to wash his feet before coming to see you! There's plenty younger on this side of the globe who don't bother despite the ready availability of showers, baths and washbasins.

Anyhow good luck and let us know how things are going - we'll send out some decent (warm) real ale if needed.

Pommy Bastard Bill

9. Thanks Mike,
    I was here in Chch - who'd have thought of such ramifications of skipping just the ONE conference? A big quake is an amazing thing to experience. Some of Chch is absolutely fine (us) and some of Chch is an absolute write off (my folk's place). Luck of the draw.
    The place is still rumbling today. Fingers crossed for no more big ones!

10. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I have just been informed by my parents that my old watering hole has fallen over. :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :sinking:

11. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

12. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    The place is still rocking; 23 quakes in the last 24 hours; with 3 biggies in the last 2hrs ...anyone had enough?

See this: http://quake.crowe.co.nz/

13. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  14. Didn't realise South Island was such a hotbed of seismic activity. Just finished enjoying the biopic of Invercargill's Burt Munro on the BBC IPlayer.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/gbjg9/ Well worth a watch.

15. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    A 4.89 a couple of hours ago; 15 more small ones since then.
    27 earthquakes in the last 24 hours
    A total of 4123 (and counting) aftershocks since the big one!

16. W J Liggins

Had one in Cumberland U.K., 3.9. Nothing like as shaken as we are by the latest Test score!

Pommie Bastard Bill

17. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    So far today, they have had earthquakes with magnitudes of: 5.1 3.1 3.3 4.0 3.2 2.6 3.9

There have now been a total of 4445 quakes since the original big one.

18. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    ..and they just had another 3.9 !

19. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Another biggie has hit. The top has fallen off the Cathredral!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4688231/Large-quake-strikes-Christchurch

Attached Files:

20. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

21. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

This looks worse than last years big one. CP, how is the family?

22. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Yes, its a bad one. I just listening to the Australian Prime Minister painting a really bad picture of what has happened.

The phones are down, but I have got a message that my parents are fine, but a nephew was working in one of the collapsed buildings and has not been contacted yet.

23. W J Liggins

Is the profession in NZ to start a fund for those colleagues affected?

Bill

24. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
  25. The BBC are reporting http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

All Pacific Islands including New Zealand are on red alert for tsunami as well as the entire Pacific coastline of the USA, Canada, central and south America.

26. saw this today -

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  27. admin

28. admin

29. admin

30. admin

31. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator