Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

What is wrong with the world we live in ?

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by mike weber, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I read this yesterday and though I will have a look at the video - I actually felt physically sick after watching it. The world seems to becoming madder by the second, maybe it is the darkness over here and I canĀ“t wear my rose coloured glasses, but still.....

warning might mess up your day......

Of course the reverse racial abuse could happen and I would still be feeling the same disgust - The thing that really got under my skin was the innocent kid sitting on her knee......

I also read the other day that black Sunday sales in the US to kick off Christmas shopping someone got stabbed over a gift.......

Anyways I guess I should take my bleeding Liberal heart and be off.

Maybe I will make the effort to do unexpected nice things to folks to keep the Newtonian laws .

To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

here is the equal and opposite reaction..... Hope he is right.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  2. Griff

Griff Moderator

That's Croydon for ya I'm afraid.

3. The news media doesn't make any money telling about all the good that goes on in today's world....they only make money telling about the bad things. If you only get your news from newspapers, radio and television news casts and the internet headlines then you will likely be quite depressed. My suggestion? Start paying attention to all the good around you and pay less attention to what the news media wants you to hear in order for them to stay in business.

4. The news media doesn't make any money telling about all the good that goes on in today's world....they only make money telling about the bad things. If you only get your information about the world around you from newspapers, radio and television news casts and the internet headlines then you will likely be quite depressed. My suggestion? Start paying attention to all the good around you and pay less attention to what the news media wants you to hear in order for them to stay in business.

5. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

My brother works in Croyden. He (semi) affectionately refers to it as Beirut

6. Griff

Griff Moderator

Its not that nice...

7. footdrcb

footdrcb Active Member

After reading this thread it brings to mind a conversation I had with a GP (friend) the other week.
    There seems to be a smouldering anger that exists in society nowadays. People are in the general public arena , much less tolerant than they were even 20 years ago.

I also believe that there is a general lack of boundaries also. Freedom of speech is misconscrued as the "right" to say whatever they want.

The line is therefore , blurry.

I treated an old war veteran yesterday who was making the standard racist comments that are the "norm" for that generation.

Water off a ducks back.

I agree with the previous poster insofar as ,"Look at the good"

Below is something that I have referred to for my own growth during the tough times and the good.

Oh well,,,now it is time for the Aussie to get off the soap box.....Thanks for reading .

Desiterata
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.[1]

References
    1.^ a b c d Platt, Suzy, ed (1993). Respectfully Quoted: A Dictionary of Quotations. Library of Congress. Barnes & Noble. p. 212. Retrieved 2011-11-10. Note that this reproduces Ehrmann's original, unformatted text; many later reproductions break it into lines of blank verse.
    2.^ "Bell v. Combined Registry Co., 536 F.2d 164 (7th Cir., 1976)". United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. May 14, 1976.

8. kal

kal Member

I think that like so many things in this crazy world we live in things that go viral like this sometimes have to be taken with a pinch of salt.
    I really dont agree with the womans outburst and there is no place for it in the world but if you watch her closely I think there may be underlying issues. Her facial expressions and speech suggest that there maybe something else like alcohol/mental issues which may account for the outburst. Lets face it who would be brave/stupid enough to say all that on a tram where she is clearly the minority!!!!

9. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

I daresay that it is something more than just outright stupidity. She is absolutely chewing her face off which suggests some drug usage. Either way, drugs/drink/mental health, you've got to feel sorry for the kid

10. kal

kal Member

true! certainly not the best environment for a child!!

11. The effect that the media services have in producing such a distorted view of the world in people is called mean world syndrome. This is one good reason why, I believe, children (and adults) should limit their viewing of television news and media news programs and spend more time learning about the real world around them by interacting with real people. In other words, I believe that children and adults should limit the viewing of the images that the media outlets use to sell their products so that they can develop, over time, a more realistic view of the world around them.

12. kal

kal Member

Although in this case maybe dont interact with this woman on a tram any time soon as I am pretty sure an episode of friends will have a much better effect on people than her crazy rants

13. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

Despicable behavior and the poor kid has little chance of growing up without her hatred imbedded in his own brain and perpetuating it Mike. How does anyone get that angry at the world anyway?

14. footdrcb

footdrcb Active Member

Pretty easy I would think. That is unless your question was rhetorical??

This is all just speculation but based on the film , a few possibles might be.

Combine the normal day to day pressures of life PLUS some sort of drug intoxication and/ or withdrawal, single mother, financial difficulties, dysthemia , a child that wont sleep, poor support from social infrastructure, the list goes on.

Albiet the little boy looked well dressed and well cared for.

I guess all we can do is make sure that the children that we are responsible for IE our own, get the best we can give them in life.

15. Exactly David .......

16. timharmey

timharmey Active Member

I was born in Thorton Heath , Croydon so I feel the need to defend it on the balance of things Croydon has added more good than bad to the world.the woman rants a load of old rubbish but she didnt hit anyone,some bloke killed a baby because it cried,(On the news yesterday) and she has just ranted load of old nonsense.I am suprised people engaged with her, first rule of public transport dont talk to the nutter
    Tim

17. Speaking of engaged did you hear about the guy who buried his Fiance alive because he was bored with her.

http://media.theage.com.au/news/world-news/buried-alive-but-escaped-with-ring-2826143.html?from=newsbox

18. Griff

Griff Moderator

I was born in Croydon also Tim, so let's not sugar coat it - it's the A-hole of Surrey.

19. timharmey

timharmey Active Member

But it has given me an education my dad and mum a job and a house , loads of worthwhile people have lived breathed and flourished in Croydon .I feel under milkwood to Croydon coming on !
    tim

20. cperrin

cperrin Active Member

You hear shes from Croydon and it sounds bad, you hear shes from New Addington and it gets even worse although begins to make even more sense. If she really knew her genealogy she would know that any english person is basically a mungrel mixed up of all sorts!!

And also telling someone to go back where they came from when they're on tram - why do you think they're on the tram in the first place you stupid woman!

21. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

Me too, but that was a loooooooong time ago and things were VERY different then.

Its because of the "chav" culture and mindset vs the black gang culture vs eastern european drug and crime culture all living in now overcrowded overpopulated Croydon that had a lot to do with the summer riots imho. Its a tinderbox waiting to go up and this video shows the resentment that still exists.

This I would suggest drunk / drug fired tirade of abuse from this person had the effect of briging together condemnation from all other passengers irrespective of their race an colour which is a positive thing to come out of it.

My wife travels too and from work on the tram daily and what you see is not an unusual event with each culture expressing their own extreme views to another, often resulting in violence. As she tells me she just dosent look at anyone just at the floor and if it gets too much she gets off and waits for the next tram.

That sums up our way of life and how MY CULTURE as an Englishman has been destroyed (BTW cperrin Mongrel I may be but my family name can be traced back to the 1300's in England can you say the same??)

Old war veterans saying "the same rascist comments" ever wondered why ?
    Have you ever spoken in detail of what those blokes put up with and what they gave up so we could have the Croydons of this world ?? I'm sure the most feel it was all a waste of time and become very resentful because of how its turned out. They remember what this country was like and want those days back, where honour ,pride ,dignity and trust were the norm and people were safe in the streets and in their homes but that will never happen again, its all gone too far.

So Annie and I look at the floor and never make eye contact with anyone, the car doors are locked when we are out,my Gkids are ferried everywhere because it is not safe to let them walk,and of course people like this that make me ashamed to be English. Yep welcome to Croydon come and pay us a visit and see if your Liberal veiws still hold strong afterwards............

Cheers
    D;)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  22. timharmey

timharmey Active Member

I have to admit I have not been to Croydon for a long time apart to change trains at East Croydon station.I hear there is a lot of gun crime and gangs , I suppose being the son of immigrants I feel a gratitude to the place for the opportunity it gave my parents.If it is that bad its a shame .
    tim

23. Interesting times. A few weekends back I was visiting family in my home town, Kirkcaldy, which had always been a reasonably prosperous town. My other half had forgotten her hairbrush, and as such items are indispensable prior to public appearance, I was duly dispatched to the local chemists to procure said item.

This small independent pharmacy was where I used to purchase my practice pharms, so I knew it well. Three young lads and a middle aged mum in the queue waiting for the assistant/pharmacist and a minute goes by when the lad in front screams something that sounded like "moantaevuckhen" - which loosely translated from the Scot's dialect means "would you mind hurrying up, dear?".

Enter said dear with a large paper sac which she places on the shop counter which was the cue for all four customers to dive into the bag and extract a small plastic cup, which had their content duly taken. Methadone.

Have to say - and I'm usually pretty hardened to things - I was sure gobsmacked. The pharmacists tells me she dispenses between 280 and 425 doses to addicts every day. Including Sundays. The don't buy it in bottles anymore - it comes in 10 gallon drums. Interesting times. And they didn't sell hairbrushes either. What's the world coming to?

24. cperrin

cperrin Active Member

Nope, and i dont intend too, my surname is French, i know that i have people in my family history who are clearly French, German, Welsh, Irish and God knows where else from.

I am English and would always describe myself as such, but there is no such thing a pure English whether your name goes back to the 1300s or last year (not intended as a dig at you DTT), and with this I still get amazed when you get people like the woman in the video who keep telling people to 'go back where they came from' and attack people due to their race when English people have more variants in them then the next.

I think you make a valid point on the transition from these urban areas of old to now - it is a familiar picture not just in Croydon but all surrounding areas like Lewisham/Forest Hill/Bromley etc etc

25. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Q)
    A) God is denied from too many hearts, iniquity rules OK!.

Dave

26. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

When you have so many high profilers setting bad examples, see Jeremy Clarkson, then what hope has society.

27. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

Hi all

Just had a court officer in for Tx who informs me thee lady concerned in the video is now under lock and key mainly for her own protection as she is getting many death threats.

It would appear the case is proceding mainly on a mental health issue and is to be reviewed when reports are ready.
    Cheers
    D;)

28. maxants33

maxants33 Active Member

29. Did not know you were into Danish thrash metal David.

30. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

AAhh! the real sound of Christmas for our time :dizzy:

Dave

31. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xblw9a_lloyd-cole-and-the-commotions-lost_music#rel-page-5

"This morning I woke up from a deep, unquiet sleep
    with ashtray clothes and this lonelyheart`s pen
    with which I wrote for you a lovesong in tattoo
    upon my palm.
    'Twas stolen from me when Jesus took my hand."

Each to their own. One could argue that organised religion has been a major problem within this world for far too long, but let's not go there. It is Christmas after all. :morning::eek::cool:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbk9ww_lloyd-cole-and-the-commotions-from_music
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbnsrz_lloyd-cole-and-the-commotions-cut-m_music#rel-page-1

32. Here you go Mr Russell, lean over on the book case... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4My6unHLt1c&feature=related And I think that the rest of you will will find that if you look in the dictionary under "tune", it'll say see: Lloyd Cole and the Commotions: Are your ready to be heartbroken"; and if you really want to get straight: read Norman Mailer, or get a new tailor...

33. Oh mate, you and I are going down separate paths. Personally, I thought Clarkson's comments were absolutely bang on and summed up the mood of the majority of the British population.:morning: But then, I only live here. Wonder what would happen if the UK had a referendum on it's continued membership of the European Union tomorrow....

34. Personally I prefer John Irvine; Mailer was too provocative - deliberately so, but his language embraced, rather than utilised, the obscenity. I can see the attraction though ;) You still collecting from the same box?

35. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

That's depressing. The guy himself needs a good stoning!, but not in front of his family, what a pr*ck!

36. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

About three years ago I was in my Doc's at 7.30 in the morning for my standard antihypertension stuff. The pharmacist next door had a queue of methadonees drinking their stuff - in one couple - he had a dog under is arm! In a pharamacist? A dog under arm? Mind you - this was SW Sydney!

37. You can't be a bit of comedy that goes over the heads.

38. A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY IS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVOURITES

39. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

The fact he said he would do the right thing on th BBC and give the opposing view and was laughing himself when he made the comment gives a clue I think ??:rolleyes:

Hopefully there will be a re run of Clarkson for prime minister again.:drinks
    Might be an interesting outcome.
    cheers
    D;)

40. timharmey

timharmey Active Member

Simon
    I love that book! the end well it is great saw some film once based aound the ideas which was ok, irvine once you get past the search for a father figure and all the wrestling is a good read last one I read was about tattoos, Sweden and brothels
    Tim
    Ps still looking in to the movable cuboid 4 years to go !