Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

The passing of David Winter

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by admin, Feb 6, 2012.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Anyone with more than a passing interest in biomechanics knows who David Winter is and the extent of his contribution to biomechanics.

It is with sadness we note his passing at the age of 81.

David A. Winter

David A. Winter (PhD, PEng) is a distinguished professor emeritus of the University of Waterloo. He was a founding member of the Canadian Society for Biomechanics and its first Career Award winner. He was later awarded the Muybridge Medal of the International Society of Biomechanics (ISB) and the Lifetime Achievement Award of The Gait and Clinical Movement Analysis Society. Before becoming an academic he served as an electrical officer with the Royal Canadian Navy on HMCS Nootka from 1952 to 1958. He completed his service at the rank of lieutenant commander. In December 2011, ISB named an award to encourage young people to stay involved in biomechanics research the "David Winter Young Investigator Award."

Winter is notable for introducing many important methods and concepts to the study of human locomotion and balance, such as automated television motion capture,[2] lowpass digital filtering of marker trajectories,[3] measurement of instantaneous segmental energy,[4] and the powers produced by joint moments of force,[5] and the analysis of electromyograms by ensemble averaging.[6]

1. ^ Kinesiology remembers professor David Winter, University of Waterloo
    2. ^ Winter, D.A., Greenlaw, R.K., Hobson, D.A. Television-computer analysis of kinematics of human gait. Computers and Biomed. Research, 5:498-504, 1972.
    3. ^ Winter, D.A., Sidwall, H.G., Hobson, D.A. Measurement and reduction of noise in kinematics of locomotion. J. Biomech. 7:157-159, 1974.
    4. ^ Winter, D.A., Quanbury, A.O., Reimer, G.D. Analysis of instantaneous energy of normal gait. J. Biomech. 9:253-257, 1976.
    5. ^ Winter, D.A., Quanbury, A.O., Reimer, G.D. Instantaneous energy and power flow in gait of normals. Biomechanics VA. Komi, P.V. (Ed.) Baltimore: University Park Press, 334-340, 1976.
    6. ^ Winter, D.A. Use of computer averaged EMG profiles in the diagnosis of pathological gait. Arch. Phys. Med. and Rehab. 65:393-400, 1984.

2. Peter G Guy

Peter G Guy Member

My condolences to Dr Winter's family. He was a keynote speaker at conference I organized by in the 1990's. At that time he was approaching retirement. We had a great a conversation about 1st MPJ motion and its importance in the scheme of lower leg and foot function. The information he provided in "The Biomechanics and Motor Control of Human Gait: Normal, Elderly and Pathological, Second Edition. David A. Winter. Published by Waterloo Biomechanics, 1991. " was a staple reference for many the graphs I used in my lectures on the hip knee and ankle.
    He was Canadian pioneer in the field of human biomechanics.
    Peter Guy
    Whitby Family Footcare Clinic
    Peterborough Family Footcare Clinic
    Professor Chiropody Faculty, Michener Institute, Toronto
    www.painfreefeet.ca

3. Sorry to see David Winter pass. He was such an important figure in the international biomechanics community and I have referenced his research on balance a few times in my Precision Intricast Newsletters. His books are classics.

Thanks for everything you gave us, David!

4. efuller

efuller MVP

I'm sad. When I was first starting to look into real biomechanics David Winter's articles really opened up my eyes. I felt all of his articles added to my understanding of biomechanics. You could get really far in understanding biomechanics if you just read his articles and books. I saw him speak once. It was a pleasure to see someone who was so well respected admit that he was wrong in the past and then could explain exactly why he was wrong and then explain what he believed currently. He has added much to current knowledge.

Eric