Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

What are you reading just now......?

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Mark Russell, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Following the Frosty Weber's example..........

Just started the brilliant Emigrants by W.G. Sebald. Needed a bit of respite after Joyce's -Ulysses - too too crazy..... but next up is Finnegan's Wake!

And what are your 5 top (non podiatry) books.....?

1. Hemmingway - The Old Man and the Sea
    2. Orwell - Animal Farm
    3. Proust - À la recherche du temps perdu
    4. Sunset Song - Lewis Grassic Gibbon
    5. The Hills is Loney - Lillian Beckwith

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  3. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

confederacy of dunces - Toole
    slaughterhouse 5 - vonnegut
    reuben, reuben - de vries
    to kill a mockingbird - lee

can't think of any other up there with them at the momento

4. Top 5 a bit hard as it a bit of time a place for me with reading.
    I tend to have a rotation policy with reading.

Action type : just finishd the last of the Stig Larsson books The Girl who Kicked the hornets nest .A trilogy set in Sweden highly recommend.

Fact type: Just started a book THE MAFIA. 1st hand account of life inside the mob . Donnie Brasco Joey ´the hitman´Black etc.

Classic type. Looking for a copy of Dante which will be up next. After just finishing to kill a mockingbird.

Mike ´Frosty´Weber. (is Frosty a good thing Mark ?)[/

5. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Love to read......................

Himself bought me an E-Reader for Christmas {Bliss}

I am trying to order some of my favourite authors to download:

Peter Benchley: Everything he has written is truly fascinating.

James Herbert: The Rats. (Couldn't put it down & read it many years ago in one sitting).

Colleen McCullough: Tim.

Maureen O'Donoghue: Jeddars Land. Made me realise how beautiful England is.

Catherine Cookson. Love reading about strong women who pull themselves up by their bootlaces in the face of adversity & win. (Would have said knicker elastic. However, I realise I may be in educated company)

My list may not be inspirational to anyone.

Reading (to me) is a lot like enjoying good music.

It doesn't matter if it is classical or punk. IMO Good = So long as it floats your boat. ;)

Very best regards,

Mandy.

6. Too right! It's super-cool man....

7. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

netizens

Sitting by the pool in Dubai reading Ranulph Fiennes's rather good novel The Secret Hunters. Bed time reading is the enormously funny Ecstasy by Irvine Welsh. Also picked up a copy of Hans-Jurgen Dopp's Paris Eros: The Imaginary Museum of Eroticism which looks fun.

Now I know why they built the Burj, Dubai. :D

in r&r
    toeslayer

8. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Sounds like Hell Mr Slayer Sir, :empathy:

9. Cameron

as seen mandy.......

Attached Files:

10. bob

bob Active Member

aAAAA!
    Delete me please!

11. blinda

blinda MVP

Just finished `Everyone Dead by Teatime`, Daily Mash. Don`t panic - head between the knees...

Facebook Gives you Short Attention Span, says......ooh what`s that?

12. Fantastic - every bit the seasoned, svelte, debonair metrosexual. No frolics on the beach I hope....?

13. cornmerchant

cornmerchant Well-Known Member

Toeslayer

Without wishing to be pedantic, I am not sure that the evidence of the 2 photos actually proves you are in Dubai- apart from the fact that a beanie(hat) seems a little over the top for such a hot country!
    Have you got a picture of you standing in front of the new building or another landmark? Of course , it is possible that you only read your book at the hotel and therefore are unable to provide the evidence!

Cornmerchant( reading in bed)

Ps Just finished the Book Thief by Markus Zusak- excellent.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  14. stevewells

stevewells Active Member

Just finished the best book I ever read - The Autobiography of Malcolm X -

15. Cameron

Just for you.

16. Cameron

Oh ye of little faith. toeslayer in Dubai.

Attached Files:

17. charlie70

charlie70 Active Member

Got to agree about the Book Thief and the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy.
    Other books I've read and loved include:
    A day in the life of Ivan Denisovitch: love it, find it really positive and a triumph of the human spirit - which is funny cos my brother read it and found it totally bleak.
    Owen Meany - you gotta persevere for the first few chapters, but worth it.
    erm....
    I tend to have a few books on the go at any one time: have just finished Mary Barton (bathroom book) and Oliver Twist (living room book) and am now reading "The woman who walked into doors" by the bloke wot wrote Paddy Clark ha ha ha. (Bathroom) and have just finished the Twighlight trilogy which is pants but totally enjoyable pants.
    E-books probably won't be my choice: you don't get that "new book" smell from an electronic thingy. Or the comfort of turning the pages etc.
    Oh. I may come across as a geek. What the hell: I've met a few Pods in my time and I don't think I'm alone.

18. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Rogers Profanisaurus - a must read for the intellectuals

Robin

19. DrPod

DrPod Active Member

20. Griff

Griff Moderator

I'm currently reading :59 seconds by Professor Richard Wiseman.

Beeing a fan of psychological 'effects' such as the placebo effect and the hawthorne effect it has taught me some new ones such as the Franklin effect, the pratfall effect and my favourite so far - the centre-stage effect:

Attached Files:

21. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Believe me or believe me not, despite all the sledging last summer esp from me being a Pommie, I am reading Adam Gilchrists autobiography "True Colours".

My favourite books in no order are

Martian chronicles
    John Simpson, A Mad World my Masters
    Crazy Diamond ( about Syd Barrett)
    Kane and Abel

22. Scorpio622

Scorpio622 Active Member

Just finished The Fountainhead. Started it in 1988.