Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

RN's cutting nails

Discussion in 'Australia' started by toughspiders, Feb 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. toughspiders

toughspiders Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Does anyone know if they are insured to do this? I've heard some are going on basic footcare courses and doing it.

2. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

It is a basic hygiene task within the scope of practice of a nurse, so their insurance, usually provided through the ANF, would cover this

3. toughspiders

Thanks,

I presume then that their insurance/associate deems ok and covers them for the use of non sterile instruments?

I cant get my head around the fact that our regulations are so strict, with good reason. But anyone else can just do what is cheapest and get away with it it.

Why isnt nail care regulated?? I know a lot of people on here deem nail care to be a simple task but personally i find it a skill. A skill in which you learn through many years of experience

4. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

Within healthcare in Australia there are actually very few procedures regulated. The AHPRA only limits 3 practices, prescription of corrective lenses, cervical spine manipulation and dentistry. With other laws restricting/controlling who can prescribed medicines. For everything else, it is just protection of title.
    There are though some state based laws affecting beauticians, hair dressers etc. that require they comply with council health officer standards etc.

5. OneFoot

OneFoot Active Member

Ahhh this is interesting....

Pods better be careful at nursing homes....

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I hate to think how often this issue has come up in the last 20-30-40 yrs.

It is within their scope of practice.

Its only ever going to be regulated if the public is at risk of harm and there is not a shred of evidence that they are. Its NEVER going to be regulated if we think it should be to protect what we perceive as "our" turf.

The only objection I have when we are forced to compete when the playing field is not level (ie the comment above about the infection control standards and the costs of compliance are not expected of or required by those who we may have to compete with).

7. OneFoot

OneFoot Active Member

I very much agree...

I mean you can get your nails cut by a beauty therapist

BUT I do think that Podiatrist should be active in protecting their 'turf'... I mean dentists have been doing it for years and look where they are...

8. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

The cutting and filing of normal nails is considered a task of daily living.:deadhorse:

Most people safely cut their own nails for most of their life.

So i would say if you can cut your own nails safely then by definition you can cut someone elses safely.

Problems arise when someone charges for this or is employed to do this for a person. You then have a duty of care .

However if someone has a medical pathology which places the lower limb at risk then it should only be done by an appropriately trained healthcare professional.

We really do get our knickers in a twist over this issue.

I have cut my own nails since the age of approx 6-7 years. I am pleased to say that i am still able to do this safely.

How ever if i do get old and crotchety i will have to pay some idiot to do it for me.

David

9. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Since when was cutting "toenails" part of a Podiatrists role and responsibility? I am always amazed at what Podiatrists fight to protect!!!!

10. toughspiders

When i trained which was many years ago. Yes, we were told it was part of our role, that and callus debridement. I specifically remember our tutor telling us not to forget what he called was "our bread and butter". And yes i see it as an essential part of our role.

Am i in the minority here, am i one of the few that does routine nail care??

The reason i raised this issue is mainly due to a professional association allowing it without the use of sterile equipment.

I disagree that cutting your own nail is the same as cutting other peoples nails. You have many years experience of cutting your own.

11. antipodean

antipodean Active Member

Hey Tough spiders not sure where you are practicing but AHPRA is just regulatory component of service delivery. Most jurisdictions also regulate OH and S, I will give the example of the ACT where the "infection control code of practice 2005" applies just as much to beauticians and tattooists as it does dental practices. The code (a minimum set of standards) is enforceable under the public health act, most jurisdictions would have similar acts which anyone being remunerated for providing foot care would be bound to adhere to.

The debate is not so much about who should or should not undertake general care. Demarcation and legislated turf protection (excluding community pharmacists) is pretty much a thing of the past. Podiatrists need not feel too threatened as we have many competitive advantages that provide our profession with a bright future. Bio-mechanics underpins nearly all of what we do, Other professions can safely debride callus but they are unlikely to be able to ad value in the way we can such as identification and amelioration of causative factors.
    Yes a few podiatrists think general care is beneath them but I have to say that I sometimes feel that dealing with the ego of a runner with an overuse injury is beneath me.

12. toughspiders

So eloquently put! Yes you're are right. You should be politician!!

13. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

Goodaye Paul, would you expand this post please, including reasons, to make it clearer for me (and others maybe), Mark

14. Nina

Nina Active Member

I don't know why this is a problem, in my experience which includes working for 12yrs in district general hospital, most nurses loathe feet and stay as far away from them as possible.

Surely part of caring for someone is performing tasks which the patient would normally be able to do for themselves if they were well.

15. Aims

Aims Member

I know I’m late to putting my two cense into the debate but I have been a Nurse for the last 7 years and have just working as a Podiatrist for about 7 weeks. Nurses don’t want to cut nails, they (we) don’t really know how and they (we) don’t get any extra for doing it. I think the profession is safe.