Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Video on Medially Deviated Subtalar Joint Axis

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Kevin Kirby, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Just noticed that YouTube has a new video lecture titled "Medially Deviated Subtalar Joint Axis", by Heidi Meckler. I am wondering what you all think about the video?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  2. For a start the sound is awful, it sounds like there is either a) a baby crying b) a wolf howling in the background. I've only got 5 minutes into it but the sound is putting me off.

What do you think?

3. blinda

blinda MVP

That'll be because Heidi has a newborn child, a toddler and lives in Turkey. Maybe it doesn't have the spit 'n polished finish to it, but give the gal a fair crack of the whip.

NB: She also holds a black belt in martial arts....

4. I would be interested to know if others think she did a fair job presenting the material or not. But, I do agree with Simon that the background noise was distracting in the early part of the video but seemed to be better as the video progressed.

5. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

Well done to Ms Meckler; put an effort into a podiatry education tool. Only failure to understand on my part is referring to the medially / or centrally / or laterally deviated axis as biplanar; why isn't it a transverse plane projection of the real thing, therefore uniplanar, thanks, mark

6. I watched the video again this morning from around 6 minutes when the background noise drops. Overall it's a reasonable attempt to introduce these concepts to someone who is not familiar with them and as advertisements go, there is not too much hard sell.

The synchronisation between dialogue and slides is not great and there are number of inaccuracies/ errors/ and a little naivity in Ms. Meckler's slides and dialogue of which I've noted a few examples below, along with approximate timings:

7.30 "you can't apply maths to soft tissues"
    8.00 The notion that the axis is fixed
    11.00 The posterior tib. "holds the foot in the right position"
    21:00 Supination resistance is not influenced by body mass- ???
    22.50 "she medially inverted her ankle"- should have been everted?
    27.00 "sprain" of a tendon
    28.00 "fibia"
    29.00 diagram of mechanism of injury- second diagram with medially deviated axis, the diagram is inaccurate as it stands in the illustration presented in the slide. At best it is poorly labelled.
    30.30 my personal favourite: an orthosis with "a high medial phalange", this is repeated on the slide at 32.00 with the word "phlange" and the slide at about 33.00 with the word "phalange" I'm reminded of an episode of Friends.:rolleyes:
    32.00 "no" instead of "now accompanied by lumbar..."
    36.00 "all correction under heel"- not true; "biplanar"???; foot axis??? "Axis of the location"? This was all a bit confused toward the end.

Like I said, a reasonable attempt and thankfully not too much hard sell.

7. BTW, I assume you'll be getting royalty payments from Langer for the use of your diagram's in their advertising, Kevin? :morning: