Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatry Studies

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Andres, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Andres

Andres Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Ok, Hi - I am new on the forum and it might be worthwhile to mention that I am from South Africa and I have my own law firm.

I started running some 5 years back and during this time I have completed a number of ultras including Comrades Two Oceans.

Now with this running I have developed an absolute infatuation with podiatry. I now spend more time around podiatry than with my clients:confused:

I have now taken the bold step of proceeding with a degree in podiatry. I will start in 2009. My question:- is this foolish - are there enough empoyment opportunities?

BTW I am now 29 years old.

Thanks!:cool:

2. B. Englund

B. Englund Active Member

hi andres.

intresting turn of events for you :)

I myself started podiatryschool after almost finishing a degree in teaching. in sweden podiatry is a new proffession (me + the students in my class is going to be the first graduationg with a degree in podiatry). this is what makes it intresting, we have the oppertunity to shape our futures. I belive the proffession in SA is about the same? I have never regret leaving teaching for podiatry.

cheers

Björn

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  3. Spur

Spur Active Member

Hi Andres,

Are you only talking about employment opportunities in SA?

Cheers:drinks

Spur

4. Sammo

Sammo Active Member

Hi Andres,

Podiatry is one of those small professions which can travel to most places around the world. I am currently working in the UK but am moving to Singapore in a couple of months time to work for a hospital over there. I know that there are also employment opportunities available in Canade, Australia, SA, NZ, Hong Kong.. pretty much everywhere except the US which have a different Qualification level for podiatrists (i.e. I'm sure I'll be corrected, but I think they do 3 years undergrad and 3 years post grad).

The world is your oyster, with a Pod degree!

S

5. Andres

Andres Welcome New Poster

Thanks for the reply guys!

I am somewhat concerned letting go a succesfull law firm - but assume in the long run it would be the best step I have taken...

Opportunities?

Well I was hoping to get some info on possible vacancies in Aust/New Z. I will most probably work in SA for some time however to gain some experience and knowledge...

Lets see what happens!