Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Subungual exostosis - Differential Dx?

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by pieds, Jun 17, 2010.

1. pieds

pieds Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,
    An 80 yr patient presented, complaining of a 'sore big left toenail'. Assessment of the toe revealed no external signs of trauma, infection or involution. Nail sulci were completely clear of debris and nail edge was visible. Direct compression of the toenail ellicted pain, which immediately made me consider subungual exostosis. I couldn't acertain whether there was any additional blanching of his nailbed, as both L and R hallux nailplates were pale in colour.

I am keen to get possible differential diagnoses in light of his other symptoms and med Hx: temperature of his feet was hot distally, but cooler proximally, which was unusual. Skin slightly anhydrotic. Erythema extended unilaterally into the distal 1/3 of the left limb. The 'erythema' took on the appearance of tiny pinpoint capillaries sub-epidermally, as opposed to irritation on the surface of the skin. The erythema was not symptomatic. The patient is also living with asbestosis (on oxygen permanently), emphysema and leukaemia. Now he has a sore toe to add to his problems!

I have read that x-rays may not be the best way of diagnosing a sub-ung exostosis, particularly if it has a cartilagenous cap. What is the best way to conclusively diagnose this condition? Could it be something more sinister in light of his medical history?

Interested in your advice and suggestions!

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. Johnpod

Johnpod Active Member

Bonjour pieds,

A genuine exostosis will 'rock' on the bony protrusion. Use both thumbnails on the lateral nailplate and depress each side in turn. If the nail will not depress there is most likely a subungual exostosis.

Given the quoted history there is more likely to be a smelly, wet, sterile ulceration beneath the nail - probably best left alone if all else settled.

4. pieds

pieds Welcome New Poster

Oooh, now I wasn't expecting that! Thank you for that advice!! I will give the 'nail rock' technique a go too.

5. G Flanagan

G Flanagan Active Member

x-ray, lateral view (and DP for good measure) you should see it if one is there.

I don't know anyone that wouldnt get a plain film for a suspected subungual exostosis. Sometimes the books have a very good theory base but practically you need to use common sense.

DDx, subungual heloma, periungual fibroma, ulceration erm.......

6. pieds

pieds Welcome New Poster

Much appreciated, G. Thanks a lot for your useful advice!

7. Thurman

Thurman Welcome New Poster

an isolated lateral view would aid visualisation without superimposition.

8. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

80 y/o with COPD of various etiology, distal hyperemia, sensitivity at the distal digits, punctate subQ hemorrhagic lesions...................

First: subungual exostosis would - of course - be demonstrated on plain xray films.
    Second: perhaps his symptoms are secondary to his general medical condition.

Steve