Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Vibram Five Fingers

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by rthansen, Mar 10, 2010.

1. rthansen

rthansen Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I was at the gym yesterday and saw an athlete doing depth box jumps wearing his Vibram Five Fingers. I like the idea of using minimalist footwear and barefoot work when doing certain types of running drills, plyo accels, and strength training. But, I doubt that most people truly know how to incorporate these in their training without causing some sort of injury. So that leads to my question. With all the interest in barefoot and minimalist running nowadays, how likely is it that a few years from now, someone may sue Vibram for a navicular stress fracture?

2. You would first need to show that these shoes increase the stress on the navicular. Do they?

P.S. why are they called "five fingers" and not "five toes"????

3. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

I'd like to over hear the sales staff conversation when presented with a six toed person wanting 6 toe shoes :0

Ian

4. Paulo Silva

Paulo Silva Active Member

Vibram is an Italian company, in most modern Latin languages the ancient word for toes has been lost in the language evolution. So wen they decided to name the product probably decided "five fingers" (in Italian fingers or toes) an then mistranslated to English.

5. Thanks.

6. I dont understand why these are so comfortable, but I can vouch for them. I have a hypermobile rear foot varus with mild hav, tibial varum in the right and use orthotics and supportive footwear 95% of my weight bearing time. I am a sailor so got a few samples to try out on myself and sailing buddies.

They are warm on cold days, cool on hot days, non slip and great on a boat.

sailing can lead to a rumbo or two and dancing. With a slight twist on the brain cells, i was sure that these shoes could also walk up walls, which it turned out they do not.

I am prone to lower back pain prior to orthotics and when senabilty returned I was sure i would pay a big price for wearing these shoes for 12 hours and dancing up a storm.

I can vouch that I experinced no joint pain what so ever and was surprised that no soft tissue in the MLA was affected. If I use a regular shoes with out my orthotic I usually feel it in my 1st MPJ or heel. I must warn you though that these shoes can leave you with a head ache!

7. Nat

Nat Active Member

In America, maybe not. All you need is an opportunistic complainant and opportunistic lawyer. Land of opportunity, you know...

I've tried on a pair of Five Fingers and they felt a bit odd but all-in-all better than I had expected. I may buy some on sale and try running in them, just to see for myself. Or, maybe I'll just run in my socks instead.

8. and if you don´t like them to run in they make a great sailing shoe apparently

9. Nat

Nat Active Member

Wasn't that their original purpose, before the barefoot runners-who-didn't-really-want-to-run-barefoot discovered them?

10. There you go, just learnt something.

11. Nat

Nat Active Member

That's what I read in Born To Run anyway.

12. I first came across them a few years ago, in a professional sailor- swore by them.

13. phhaas

phhaas Welcome New Poster

Vibram comes "Vi(tale) Bram(ini), -- Vi-Bram, an Italian climber who devised the product". Contrary to what you were told, fingers/toes in Italian (dita/dita dei piedi) does not translate to "vibram." Mystery solved!

14. phhaas

Vibram comes "Vi(tale) Bram(ini), -- Vi-Bram, an Italian climber who devised the product". Fingers/toes in Italian (dita/dita dei piedi) does not translate to "vibram." Mystery solved!

15. No-one said that Vibram does translate to either fingers or toes. However, it does now seem that Vibram is facing a class action lawsuit regarding the claims they made about these shoes.:cool:

16. phhaas

[Check4SPAM] RE: URL Attempt

Ah, yes. Makes you wonder who was responsible for marketing. Dita dei piedi = the digits of the feet. Maybe instead of "Five Fingers" it should have been Five Digits Footwear? Eh. I actually do have a pair of these Vibrams and ran a half marathon in them just fine. Did take some getting used to, but I successfully transitioned my running from a heel strike to a mid-foot strike. Just read this, thanks for the heads up on the class action. http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/...cle_161dadaa-7a8a-11e1-aed9-0019bb30f31a.html

New products should always be worn with caution.

17. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member