Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Member of Vibram Medical Advisory Panel Explains His Relationship with Vibram, Inc.

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Kevin Kirby, May 13, 2014.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am having an interesting discussion now on Running Research Junkie with Nick Campitelli, DPM, a member of the Vibram FiveFinger Medical Advisory Board.

Dr. Campitelli claims that he received absolutely no compensation from Vibram for being a member of their Medical Advisory Board even though Dan Lieberman claims he received financial compensation for his lab from Vibram. Why would a podiatrist allow their name, degree and photo and education to be used on their website for the promotion of a multi-million dollar corporation for absolutely no financial compensation?

http://www.runresearchjunkie.com/do-foot-orthotics-really-work/#comment-2235

Does any one understand the motive for this?:confused:

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I don't necessarily have a problem with it. I have given heaps of free and paid advice to many running shoe companies and foot orthotic companies over the years (just had a free lunch with one yesterday!) ....if they want to offer to acknowledge that on their website that is fine. Personally, I would prefer that they didn't, but appreciate the offer. In some cases, the prestige of the "appointment" may be worth it.

Being on the Vibram medical advisory board is certainly an embarrassing position to be in at the moment, given that Vibram had to settle the class action over the claims they made about the scientific evidence ... certainly the medical advisory board either gave them really bad advice or failed dismally to point out what Vibram was claiming was wrong.....kind of surprised that Vibram have not "fired" them!

3. Craig:

But would you allow your photo and name to be used on a running shoe company's public website as a member of their Medical Advisory Panel and offer to help write a 13 page manual on how to use their shoes without some form of financial compensation from that company?

I guess if you were a no-name podiatrist from Akron, Ohio trying desperately to increase your visibility and recognition to the public, you would.

Check out this no-name podiatrist's video at the bottom of his webpage on "Proper Foot Strike". What a joke!

http://www.drnickcampi.com/Akron_Podiatrist/Running_Doctor_in_Akron___Cleveland_Ohio.html

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Probably not ... but if I wanted to build my profile and hang my hat on one particular paradigm/model and raise my profile in that 'community' (for whatever reasons), then maybe (I am guessing that is why Dr Nick might have done it - if it was this, its now come back to haunt him).

5. Here is a good one from Dr. Nick's Running Blog on why Vibram Should Not Have Been Sued for their false claims. Again, what a joke!

http://www.drnicksrunningblog.com/m...-why-minimalist-shoes-do-not-create-injuries/

6. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

This is riveting lunch time reading - much better than the sleep inducing "Born to Run". Maybe we should write it up and sell it to help fund the Vibram payback scheme - seems the NY best sellers list and Amazons top 100 books to read in your lifetime list aren't too hard to get onto!

7. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I have responded with a comment on his blog. The fan boys are not getting it. This class action was NEVER about barefoot/minimalism or Vibram FiveFingers being any good or not. It was about Vibram misleading consumers into believing there was "ample evidence" to support their health claims for the product, when there was and still is none.

Yes, there is a lot of barefoot/minimalism and Vibram bashing go on over this, but what were they expecting? Do you remember all the comments and 'chest beating' going on in social media from the fan boys about what was going to happen to this case when it was first filed?... they all got egg on their faces now and are now whinging about the bashing going on ... go figure!.... not to mention all the online bullying that they engaged in against the lead plaintiff in this case - they should be ashamed of their despicable behavior.

I guess Dr Nick has to rationalize this in such a way to absolve himself of any culpability from being a member of the Vibram Medical Advisory Board.... pretty embarrassing position to now find oneself in!