Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Effect of Static Foot Alignment on Plantar Pressure Measures During Running

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by NewsBot, Nov 23, 2011.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Effect of Static Foot Alignment on Plantar Pressure Measures During Running.
    Lee SY, Hertel J.
    J Sport Rehabil. 2011 Nov 15. [Epub ahead of print]

2. Maybe Root et al were right after all?

What say you?

3. Correlation isn't causation and there are at least two of those "leaps" within that abstract, not that I'd want to discuss "science for science sake".

4. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

I don't get it. Plantar pressure increases with rearfoot eversion.

So what?

Also, I don't really know that I see many people who have injuries related to high levels of plantar pressure on the medial aspect of the foot.

Or am I picking this up wrongly

5. Yep, kinetics in isolation is as blunt as kinematics in isolation- tells us little. So is the medial shift in plantar pressure a good thing since it is creating increased supination moment about the STJ (if this medial shift in pressure was occurring in association with a foot orthosis, I'm sure some people would be arguing that this was a good thing) or is it a bad thing because they are pronating more? Pronation bad, supination good. It's naive at best. For "predictors" read things that are correlated, we all know correlation isn't the same as causation and the list of pathologies associated with "excessive rearfoot eversion" via science rather than anecdote you can count on a couple or three fingers.