Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Injectable Silicone

Discussion in 'USA' started by toemeister, Nov 30, 2004.

1. toemeister

toemeister Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have been impressed with the research done on injectable medical grade silicone for intractable plantar keratoses. Does anyone know where I can purchase some?
    Dr. Douglas Flegal

2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

There is this website that has some info on the current legal status of injectable silicone for cosmetic uses:
    http://www.orentreich.com/silicone_injections.htm

Not sure where to purchase, but guess from medical suppliers to cosmetic surgeons :confused:

The most recent key references were:
    The Histologic Host Response to Liquid Silicone Injections for Prevention of Pressure-Related Ulcers of the Foot
    Efficacy of injected liquid silicone in the diabetic foot to reduce risk factors for ulceration: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  3. toemeister

toemeister Member

Silicone injections

I have spoken a couple of times to Dr. Balkin who did the studies and he has much evidence as to it's safety.
    I have tried to obtain the silicone but evidently it is not available in the U.S. I would probably need to get it from another country. I understand it is approved for use in Canada, England and Norway but I don't know where to buy it. I would plan on using it "off label", as we do with many other medications.

4. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    The characterization and optimization of injectable silicone resin particles in conjunction with dermal fibroblasts and growth factors: An in vitro study.
    Crews RM, Jennings JA, McCanless J, Cole JA, Bumgardner JD, Haggard WO.
    J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2010 Jan 20.

5. ezlington

ezlington Member

Re: Silicone injections

As I understand the situation in the USA, It is a "misdemeanor" in many States to inject Silicone fluid without a containment medium.

I quote from my (under construction) website

"Injecting tiny volumes of Silicone fluid between bony prominences and the skin DrBalkin assumed that the fluid behaved like a half inflated baloon and formed a cushion. His early technique involved implanting 0.5 – 1.0 ml directly under the lesion, however, at that time many plastic surgeons and non-qualified practitioners were injecting 500 – 1000ml (often of poor quality or industrial grade) directly into breasts. As there was no containment volumes of this silicone migrated under the influence of gravity, forming unsightly tags. .In an attempt to prevent this, many practitioners adulterated the silicone with scarring agents in an attempt to wall in the silicone. The very poor results of the silicone injections on both men and women led to lawsuits. Most of the legal actions failed as the patients had signed “experimental procedure waivers”. Unfortunately for Dow Corning, the manufacturers of the silicone products used, the USA had “Product Liability” Laws in place and they were held accountable for the misuse of their product. There was a settlement for almost $80,000,000 : a lot of “bread” in the 70’s .

At the time the regulation of "medicines" in the USA was very lax, basically anything that was not "banned" could be used on people, compared with the UK where medicines had to be licensed fro use.

To prevent a repetition, in 1975 Dow Corning had it "banned" which made it a misdemeanour to inject Silicone without a containment medium as the company was unable to devise a workable system of control that would prevent the misuse of of the highly purified medical grade silicone.
    "

http://www.siliconeinjections.co.uk/index.html

Cheers,

€z