Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatric surgery in NZ

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by toriajohn, Sep 22, 2006.

1. toriajohn

toriajohn Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    At this time I'm a part B student lucky enough to be working for a great surgical team in the east midlands. In a few years I would like to propose an exchange to my manager and I'm thinking (hoping!) that NZ has an established podiatric surgery protocal for me to experience and for one of my kiwi counterparts to visit Blighty for a few months. Does anyone have any ideas? suggestions?

2. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I dont work in NZ but my understanding (someone else please let me know if this is incorrect) is that there are no public podiatric surgery units in NZ, as is also the case in Australia.

Being Australian, and having recently spent some time in the UK doing a rotation with 2 consultant podiatric surgeons, I know the Australasian College of Podiatric Surgeons requires Australian trainees to go to the UK and USA for short periods to gain insight into international practice. I also understand there are moves to establish a formal international exchange program for trainees in various countries, but this is still in the planning phase.

If you are interested in visiting Australia, I know you would be most welcome to spend some time with one or more of the Fellows and their trainees, perhaps in Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth. I'm not sure what is available to you in NZ, but I would assume the NZ college would be your first port of call. Likewise, a reciprocal exchange to your unit would be greeted enthusiastically no doubt, as there are many Aussie's looking to spend a little time in the UK system.

Hope this helps,

LL

3. Stefan

Stefan Member

Hi there

I am a New Zealand registered Podiatric Surgeon and a Trustee of the New Zealand College of Podiatric Surgery, who works within New Zealand. You are correct, however there are a small number of Podiatrists , ( mainly those interested in the Diabetic foot), working within the New Zealand State system. New Zealand registered Podiatric Surgeons are all privatly funded. We also gain work from a governmental insurance called ACC. Our training is via America. We have to complete a 3 year post-graduate distant module based, theory training programme and also complete pupulage with a American DPM appointed by the New Zealand College of Podiatric Surgery. You can then go onto to do further study and traing that allows you to perform more advanced foot surgery. This post graduate course is endorsed under New Zealand legistlation, NZ Podiatry Board and is the only Post-graduate Podiatric Surgical training programme that is recognised , running, in New Zealand. Various attempts have been made in the past to gain reciprocity with the UK and New Zealand Podiatric Surgeons / qualifications but to date all attempts to obtain the possibilbity of international transfers have failed. Personally I think its a shame, I would love the oportunity to share and gain knowledge with my UK counterparts. All the best, Stefan

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  4. Harry Podder

Harry Podder Member

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the info re NZ surgical training. Would you please explain more about the training programme - is it currently offered? Is there a training document or link you can supply so I can read up further on this? What is this distant module based training programme - who or what institution provides it? How long are you 'taught' for by a DPM in the US and how are you examined? I would appreciate any further information as to how I could train in surgery under the NZ programme.

Many thanks,
    Harry

5. new pod

new pod Member

The surgical programme in NZ does not seem to be in operation at the moment. Tried to contact the school but it seems that they do not have a physical address nor do they have any course prospectus.

6. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

Hi
    Interesting thread that is a bit confusing to an outsider.

I thought NZ had national health care? If so, why do you have private funding?
    Also: as a Podiatric Surgeon in NZ, what procedures are you performing other than wound care?

Thanks

Steve

7. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

When national health care isn't national health care:bang:
    NZ, like Australia, does have a universal health care system, but it only funds what the government agree to fund, which is primarily services provided by medical practicioners. They are a VERY strong lobby group, so many people take out private insurance to increase their choice, as well as to avoid public hospital waiting lists.