Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Diabetes & Exercise

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by BEN-HUR, Jun 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Even Brief Bursts of Exercise May Help Inactive People With Diabetes (http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle..._wir&uac=156241CR&spon=17&impID=1099993&faf=1)

2. LeonW

LeonW Active Member

It does seem that people who are physically active create a healthier more resilient internal system as well.

3. BEN-HUR

Yes, quite true... "physically active" = better cardiovascular (& circulatory) system, immune system, better muscle/tendon integrity, hormonal regulation, cognitive function etc...

Hence why I advise my Diabetes patients on not only lower limb (Podiatry) issues but on more conducive lifestyle issues... such as exercise... which is why research/papers like the one cited can be referenced by us to encourage our diabetic patients to partake in exercise... exercise within the home (if preferred)... & it doesn't have to be a daunting process for the exercise-phobes in the community... they just need to move more regularly & work those large muscle groups.

That said, what I feel is equally important (in fact, probably more so) is what we put in our bodies... food... the diet issue. An overwhelming amount of research supports the plant based diet... particularly for Diabetes. However, this (plant based diet) view for some odd reason seems to be controversial for some people... I don't know why... I never seem to get a clear answer (maybe because the science doesn't support an answer which would warrant such controversy). I have advised my patients of the benefits of a plant based diet for Diabetes (i.e. cutting out animal fats)... some have relayed that info to their G.Ps... & some G.Ps have rubbished such research (views) that a plant based diet is beneficial for their Diabetes (but don't provide reasoning to the patients).

[Disclaimer: I have no stock market shares in edible plants... or vegetable farms]

Someone who has done a fair bit of research in this area (plant based diet & Diabetes) is Dr (or Professor - for those who are picky on such things) Neal Barnard. The following are a couple of videos pertaining to the diet aspect of addressing Diabetes (& possibly reversing it)...

I personally don't resonate all that much with the "Dental Test" as described (inconsistent reasoning i.e. the morphology of teeth is not always an adequate determinant of diet persuasion) & some aspects of the palaeontology/anthropology related assumptions used (then again, these were used within a humorous analogy context)... but the "Bunny Test" :rolleyes: seems to be quite valid... as well as the "Box Test" ;) (humans put the strangest things [with little investigation] within their mouths... maybe that's part of the problem).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  4. LeonW

LeonW Active Member

Often people are too obese to exercise well or have joint issues arthritis etc.
    I advise them to do exercise doing swimming.
    Isometric exercises where movement is not necessary to stress muscles.
    Recumbent bike is gr8 takes pressure off back and knees.
    Eliptical is very good too. No impact.
    Very controlled.

5. LeonW

LeonW Active Member

:welcome:Often people are too obese to exercise well or have joint issues arthritis etc.
    I advise them to do exercise doing swimming.
    Isometric exercises where movement is not necessary to stress muscles.
    Recumbent bike is gr8 takes pressure off back and knees.
    Eliptical is very good too. No impact.
    Very controlled.
    A really great one to push is a treadmill desk at work. Brilliant simplicity.

6. BEN-HUR

Physical Fitness Among Swedish Military Conscripts and Long-Term Risk for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Cohort Study (http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=2499473)

Casey Crump, MD, PhD; Jan Sundquist, MD, PhD; Marilyn A. Winkleby, PhD; Weiva Sieh, MD, PhD; and Kristina Sundquist, MD, PhD

7. LeonW

LeonW Active Member

There should be medicare program for exercise programs or Joining a gym.

8. BEN-HUR

Intensive Exercise Improves Insulin Sensitivity After Menopause
    By Lorraine L. Janeczko
    October 19, 2017

"NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Postmenopausal women who regularly engage in high-intensity exercise may mitigate the declines in insulin sensitivity and other metabolic parameters that are associated with menopause, according to research from Denmark.

"Postmenopausal women increased peripheral insulin sensitivity, skeletal muscle insulin-stimulated glucose uptake, and skeletal muscle mass to the same extent as premenopausal women after 3 months of high-intensity exercise training," the authors reported online September 25 in Menopause.

"Insulin sensitivity, especially involving skeletal muscle glucose uptake, is as responsive to high-intensity exercise in postmenopausal women as in premenopausal women. The lesson from this study is that many risk factors that can reduce lifespan and healthspan following menopause can be substantially ameliorated by regular exercise training," Dr. K. Sreekumaran Nair of Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, told Reuters Health by email.

"The benefits in postmenopausal women are not different from those that have been reported in older men," said Dr. Nair, who was not involved in the study.

Through Danish newspaper ads in the Copenhagen area, lead author Dr. Camilla M. Mandrup of the University of Copenhagen and her colleagues recruited 21 late premenopausal women (mean age, 48.5) and 20 early postmenopausal women (mean age, 53) for a 3-month high-intensity aerobic exercise training program. The exercise involved supervised indoor cycling three times a week for one hour... "