Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Has the World gone mad ?

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by mike weber, Mar 7, 2011.

1. When I graduated in 1983 there was a general surgeon at my hospital called Jock Sutherland - very much old school and a brilliant surgeon who knew most people in the town and neighbouring villages. Every day, without exception, Jock would drop into the local pub for a few glasses of wine and a dram and meet up wth the rest of the clientele - GPs, dentists, solicitor. Very much a custom in Scotland (and probably still is) to have a drink at the end of the day - and quite often, if there was an emergency, the hospital would phone the pub and send a taxi down for Jock, who would then return to theatre in whatever intoxicated state that time permitted. I recall a time when someone asked whether he should be drinking if he might be called out - and his response was that he much preferred to operate with an influence rather than its effects in abstinence. There was never any complaints from patients or colleagues but it's unlikely he would be allowed to practice in today's righteous and punitive environment. And that would be our loss. Easy to be judgmental in such cases; rare to make the correct choice.

2. SarahR

SarahR Active Member

Some issues depend on how underserviced an area is. A general surgeon was sentenced to weekends in jail and allowed to continue operating during weekdays for cocaine trafficking. Anyone else would have had the book thrown at them doing hard time. :S

Used to be able to find links online, now gone in the glut of google crap.

Sarah

3. I suspect Jock was of an age when common sense was still allowable. When you could sack somebody incompetant and give leeway to someone who WAS competant. These days you can't do that. Instead you can only sack people for breaking the rules, not for being rubbish. The incompetant are granted the same rights and exclusions as the competant.

Try going to spain or greece and tell them they can't have a glass of wine with their lunch. See how far you get.

4. nigelroberts

nigelroberts Active Member

Hi Mike
    Sorry to have to say this, but the simple answer is ......Yes!

5. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

".................he much preferred to operate with an influence rather than its effects in abstinence."

I'll have to use this line next time I get stopped for driving under the influence!!!!!!
    HAHAHA

Steve

6. Qas

Qas Member

This is ridiculous. They are in charge of patients well being, and being under the influence aint going to help! I Agree, world has gone mad!