Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Foot 'position' in footwear vs barefoot

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by markjohconley, Apr 18, 2016.

1. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    In this image, from a Twitter podiatrist, forget who; the talo-crural joint is in a plantarflexed position, yes? the forefoot is not plantarflexed relative to the rearfoot, yes? ..... This is what I was referring to in the thread, 'Is the upper surface of the foot orthosis the required shape' in PA. ..... Therefore there must be differences in internal (tension in tendons) and external (GRF / CoP) forces between the shod and unshod foot in both static, and more importantly, dynamic stance, yes?

(aside; can the TCJ have a neutral position, when the 'REARfoot' is perpendicular to the tibia?)........

Attached Files:

2. Are you asking if there is differences in "internal" forces in shod verse Unshod and differences between "external" forces shod verse Unshod ?
    Then yes would be the answer same as adding a " sham" othotic will also change the forces at the foot interface, AND therefore with every force there needs to be an equal and opposite force.

so change the "external" you have to change the "internal"

3. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

Not a good image for comparing Shod V unshod as most footwear have heel pitch, this boot in the xray has zero heel pitch, otherwise what then is the difference of unshod V shod other than protection?

4. Quiet a lot especially when considering a football boot and if we consider just static, dynamic is going to be even more,

1st you have the stiffness of the shoe outer of various stiffness, but if we look at the football boot the studs change the effect of GRF by changing area that is in contact with the Ground, then you need to consider the upper and it?s roll

someone might provide a list but anything will have an effect, and the studs change the dimension of that greatly

5. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

Mike, goodaye, originally I was interested in whether in footwear with positive drop / pitch the foot is plantarflexed at the talo-crural joint or if the forefoot was in equinus, plantarflexed in relation to the rearfoot. I didn't notice that the boot had zero-drop / pitch, my error, sort of kills the question. but then thinking this image showed that the foot was plantarflexed then I was confirming that the internal and external forces would be different between the shod and barefoot. So thanks for the answer, confirmation; and Boots n All, my eye obviously not as quick as yours, thanks for correcting me, mark