Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Different methods of negative model production

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by French summer, Oct 13, 2010.

1. French summer

French summer Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Does anyone know what the different methods of taking an impression of the foot are? (inorder to make a customised insole). I know of the usual ones slipper cast and box foam as awell as wax but is there more?

Technically heat moulding is not a method of capturing the morphology for customising insole I have been told.

2. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Re: Ways to customise an insole

Hi French

"Technically heat moulding is not a method of capturing the morphology for customising insole I have been told."

Wouldn't quite agree with the person who has said that.

For a while I used a low temperature thermoplastic (super softened in warm water). When it was soft you placed it on a membrane that covered a foam (which never lost its memory). You placed the foot how you wanted it then you could press down via the knee of the pt or they could fully weight bear on it. Great contour effects and the plastic could be reusable a few times.

It was really quite a neat device.

Ian

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Eyeballing (eg library systems; prefabricated orthotics)
    Measurement systems (eg for library systems)
    Plaster cast (plaster strips; STS sock)
    Foam box
    Optical scan
    Camera based systems (eg ScanAny)
    Extrapolation based systems (eg TOG; 2D algorithm systems based on things like arch index)
    Pins (eg Amfit; Orthema)
    Weightbearing systems (eg FAS; Amfit; Podiatech)
    Direct Molding (eg Podiatech; casting pillows)
    Silicon bead based (eg Podiatech)
    Wax sheets (for anyone old enough to remember)
    Putty (for anyone who is a bit older enough to remember)
    Grease and sawdust (for anyone who is really old enough to remember)

4. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

I changed the title of this thread from "Ways to customise an insole" to "Different methods of negative model production" to more accuratly reflect the question.

5. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member